[12] Secrets And Hidden Resources

I should've escaped when I had the chance

I should've escaped when I had the chance. I should've just taken the risk and ran out of the building. Because this. This is horrific.

We were all gathered around the fire we built which was barely keeping away the bugs but it was at least better than nothing. Jett and I were the only ones awake because we were keeping watch while the others rested for a bit.

We had caught some fish from a narrow stream we had found while we were looking for shelter. We decided it was best to stay covered in the trees because there's a hundred percent chance we would get attacked by predators if we camped by any source of water.

After we had cooked the fish, we started eating but while we were eating, something like a firework went off in the distance. They told me that The Hunt had officially begun and I literally felt like I was suffocating.

Brandon needs to just fucking die.

"Are you okay?" Jett asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. I turned to look at him and nodded. "Are you sure?" He raised an eyebrow and I sighed.

"I miss my parents, Jett." I hugged my knees to my chest and started rocking myself slowly while he stared at me, guilt swimming in his eyes. Woah! Guilt?

"I'm sorry," he whispered, finally averting his gaze. "Sorry? Why are you sorry? Don't you miss your parents?" I inquired and he furrowed his eyebrows, making me even more confused.

"You don't know?" He looked back at me.

"Know what?" I frowned.

"Nothing." He shook his head.

"Can you please not do that? Like, just fucking answer me," I whispered angrily, making sure that I don't wake up the others.

"Felicity, it's nothing, okay?"

"You know, the day you helped me get to the cafeteria, you told me you knew me. How?" I changed the subject and he looked uncomfortable again so I laid on my back, admiring the starry night.

I felt him lie down next to me. "Felicity Zecora," he whispered and my head immediately snapped his way. "You and your friends have been quite a problem in the village." He smiled.

"Woah, okay. I don't want to know anymore," I laughed, making him chuckle softly next to me. His eyes started to close and I couldn't help but grin at how adorable he looked.

"Go to sleep, Jett," I said.

"What about you?"

"It's fine. I'll stay on guard."

"No-"

"Go to sleep," I interrupted. He gave me a hesitant look but I nodded and he drifted off to sleep the second I did.

I sat up and stared at the going fire, my mind filled with a million thoughts and memories.

How are my parents feeling? Are they worried? Did they give up on finding me? Or do they feel like they just lost their only child left?

The crescent moon shone a very dim light on the dense trees and the air was getting colder. I rubbed my hands up and down my arms and noticed how the girls were shivering except for Vela who had Kenric's jacket wrapped tightly around her body.

"Heard your little chit chat." Nick sat down next to me. And I'm not gonna lie, I was surprised I didn't jump or scream.

"I thought you were sleeping," I stated and he shook his head.

"I wasn't," he answered and I turned to look at him only to notice how puffy his eyes were.

"You loved her, didn't you?" I frowned.

"Not like that. But yes, I loved her so much and I feel like I should've protected her. At least, I should've buried her," he replied, a couple of tears rolling down his cheeks.

"We didn't have time, Nick. The lion was letting out those ragged roars, meaning he was probably calling for help or something." I wiped his tears away with my thumb.

"But-"

"No buts, Nick. She's probably in a better place. At least better than here," I said and he glanced at me then back at the fire, nodding his head.

"Who's going to keep watch when I go to sleep?" I asked.

"Adriel and I," he responded. "So go to sleep." He kissed my cheek and I didn't argue because I really needed the rest.

I lied down, allowing my body to relax and tiredness to overcome me as I closed my eyes and fell into a dreamless sleep.

A/N: this is a really short sweet chapter in my opinion and I promise that the next one would have more actions and stuff. Toodles! ❤