[18] Darkness' Consumption

I was weak

I was weak. No, weak was an understatement, I didn't get any sleep, I stayed up all night keeping watch for the stupid eminents who didn't wake up to take turns and I haven't slept since morning because we started moving the moment everyone got up.

Currently, it was night-time and the air was frisky. Aiden had given me his jacket this morning which was a step but he completely ignored me after.

All the guys didn't have jackets on, they gave them to us, except for Brian who was wearing his since Lauren took Nick's and didn't need one.

I didn't feel the least bit of compassion for anyone. They screwed me over even though I didn't really depend on them.

Vela tried to speak to me before sunset when we took a break but Aiden took her hand and left.

Bugs didn't leave me the fuck alone, I've got bug bites and twig scratches all over my legs and neck, I lost my nose ring, my vision was blurry, I had no energy and basically, I was miserable.

"Don't cry," Zane cupped my cheek, "I'll never leave your side."

Lie. It was one of the most dangerous promises he could've ever made.

He didn't stay.

"Someone do something," I screamed, covering my face with my hands, feeling strong and stubborn arms keeping me in place.

They were watching my brother getting tortured to death and no-one did anything to help. My parents and I were held back, we couldn't do anything, meanwhile, the entire village was either staring or running back to their houses after Zane's screams had gotten too annoying.

My mother had done a mistake. A horrible one and she still doesn't forgive herself for it.

Mom killed Livelden's leader and his second in command made it his mission to ruin her life but Zane protected her.

"Get your hands off my mother." He pushed the guy away and I rushed to help mom up.

"You dare cross me," the man yelled, hitting Zane in the face. I ran up to Zane but was pulled away from him in seconds.

He thought it'd be a good idea to torture her son. And he was right. Torturing mom wouldn't have affected her as much as torturing Zane did. But because Zane was young, he couldn't take it.

I screamed for them to take me instead but he wanted to take out his anger on Zane especially since he stepped in to save mom. And the incident ruined me.

Worse, it ruined mine and my family's life. It left us all scarred.

I felt silent tears tickle my cheeks as they rolled down my face slowly, each one followed by another.

Livelden was our worst enemy and always will be.

We were vikings. Not the ones we are now, but the ancient vikings who wore dresses, helmets and boots.