sixty-nine

screw privacy. there was no way [name] wasn't going to eavesdrop on the conversation from the side.

david had watched [name] walk off to her room — or so he thought — then once again faces liza, "do you want to, um, sit down on the couch or something..?"

liza nods lightly at him. the two walk around the couch to sit in the center of it, right beside one another. they both don't say anything for a few moments, some small glances at the other before looking away every now and then.

[name] was still in the hallway, her back pressed up against the white wall to avoid being seen, only listening in on the soon to be conversation.

liza was the one that spoke first. she pivots her body around to face david, "i don't know how to start this conversation, to be honest," she lets out a light chuckle, "but i knew that i needed to have this talk with you before it's too late."

david turns his body to face liza now, "okay."

liza takes in a breath, "i know it's been awhile since we... broke up. i thought i was going to be fine. i was fine for the majority." liza starts, "i just didn't realize i wasn't until [name] came into the picture."

david remains quiet, nodding lightly for liza to show that he was listening, "don't get me wrong though, i love [name]. she's super sweet and funny and charismatic, how can anyone not like her?"

david laughs lightly to liza's words, raising a hand up to run through his hair, "yeah, i get that."

liza nods lightly again before she continues, "in the beginning i kind of assumed that something might have been going on with you two, and i wanted to give you guys a little push to see where things would go." liza said, "i don't know if it was because of our break up but... i just felt like you hadn't been yourself lately and were longing for a sense of happiness... am i wrong?"

david takes a moment to respond, and when he does he nods his head again, "not entirely..."

"that's what i thought." liza sighs, "so, when word got around in our friend group that you had been talking to another girl, i immediately sprung into action to getting her here to la as soon as possible. i know it sounded like a too spontaneous idea — i'll definitely admit that — but as the days went by, it seemed like [name]'s name came up more often to the point where whenever you said her name a big smile would just grow on your face and i just knew then and there that she might have been the happiness you had been longing for... such a long time."

david doesn't say anything, only glancing down. his fingers grazed back and forth against the material of his couch, almost as if it was a distraction.

liza continued her story, "the day came when [name] finally agreed to come down to la to meet you and all of our friends." her gaze slowly drifted to the side, "i met up with [name] and layla—" at the mention of layla's name, a small smile forms on liza's face, "—at the airport when they arrived here and that's when we planned out the whole surprise.

"all the way up to that moment i was doing okay. but the moment when you first laid your eyes on [name]... and how... happy you looked to see her... i wasn't sure what came over me." liza's voice began to waver, "every time i looked over at you two it was like an instant wave of pain and misery hitting me all over again. you... looked so much happier to see her than you did with me... you looked genuinely happy... and i know it's really fucking pity of me to be telling you how i felt about this—"