35~All By Myself

[Narrator's POV]
"Are you alone?"

Y/N started a little as she whipped around to the voice.

Her features brightened immediately as she saw who it was. "Mister Gus!" she exclaimed happily.

"Good grief, where are your parents now?" the man, Gus, exhaled heavily as he trudged up to the six-year old standing by herself on top of the rock pile.

"They're sleeping," Y/N shot Gus a toothy grin. "But I'm not! And you're not. What are you even doing here Mister Gus?"

The man paused. What was he doing there? "I, uh, just was going on a night walk and happened to see you."

"We met each other a year ago," Y/N recalled, tilting her head a little. "I wanted to explore but you brought me back to my parents. Are you a stalker?"

Gus flushed, surprised at the sudden pout that had broken through Y/N's features and her words. "What-no. Like, you actually remember me, I mean, you see..." he sputtered a little.

"Of course I remember you!" Y/N shrugged. "Anyways. I was asking why are you here again after a whole year Mister Gus?"

"Why are you here again after a whole year," Gus quickly countered.

Y/N grinned a little. "My family comes to the mountain campground every year around this time."

Gus bobbed his head quickly. "Well so do I."

Y/N nodded once before lifting her head to resume stargazing. "So pretty," she cooed as her eyes swept across the night sky of glorious lights.

Gus glanced around nervously. "You really should get back to your tent, Y/N. Your parents will worry if they wake up in the middle of the night and you're gone."

Y/N didn't answer at first. "It's beautiful," she finally exhaled, completely ignoring Gus' suggestion. She glanced at him, eyes round and sparkling.

Gus stiffened a little. "Are you crying?" he asked suspiciously.

"Huh?" Surprise flickered across Y/N's face as a hand darted up to rub an eye. "I... I guess I am," she murmured.

Gus pursed his lips a little before telling the girl gruffly to 'stay still' and gently wiping a tear away from her eye.

"Mister Gus, I think I know what I want to do when I grow up," Y/N smiled softly at her hands.

"Oh dear," Gus huffed a little. "You're too young to even think about such big life decisions."

Y/N, naturally, ignored him and only offered him a wide smile. "I want to become an artist! Mama and Papa say I'm good at art anyways."

Gus blinked a few times blankly at Y/N.

The cheery expression on Y/N's face deteriorated at the lack of reaction from Gus.

"I guess it was a stupid idea," Y/N mumbled, scuffing her shoe against the ground listlessly.

Gus shook his head quickly.

The hell is wrong with you? He scolded himself before clearing his throat.

"It's not a stupid idea at all Y/N. Not at all! I love the idea and if you follow your heart, it shall lead you to your destiny. So never give up your ideas and dreams."

The moment the words were out of his mouth, Gus quickly wanted to bang his head against a wall at the cheesiness of his own words. Preferably a brick one with spikes.