CHAPTER 3

Toronto. April 24, 1980. Ten A.M.

Mike King lifted a silver canister from the shiny surface of the large oval mahogany table in front of him. "Coffee?" he asked.

"Please," Karen Servito replied with muted disinterest, pushing her gold rimmed cup and saucer in Mike's direction.

The heavy oak twin doors to the ornate boardroom burst open and Dan Turner, nattily dressed in his usual grey pin striped legal uniform, appeared. "Welcome back," he bellowed with a warm smile, then hurried to kiss Karen's cheek and shake Mike's hand. He moved to the opposite side of the table, placed his black briefcase on the surface and took a seat. "Sorry I'm late. It's the telephone. It's become an appendage of my ear."

He leaned backward and clasped both hands behind his head. "I'm so happy for both of you. I had pretty well written you off when you left the country. I had recurring nightmares of your horrible demise in Venezuela."

"It nearly happened, Dan. If it hadn't been for a hell of a lot of luck, we wouldn't be here," Karen confirmed, then took her first sip of coffee.

"How does it feel to be free?" Turner asked.

"Wonderful," Mike replied with an enormous smile, "You start, Dan. My curiosity's killing me."

"I'll give you the highlights, then I want your story. I can't wait."

Mike nodded.

"Two days after you and Karen left for Venezuela, I received a call from a man named Alex McDowell, the head of Security Intelligence Services for the Feds. He advised that they've dropped all of the charges against you. After I climbed back onto my chair, I asked him for an explanation. He told me Jerry Allison lived long enough to confess everything. He confirmed everything you were trying to tell me."

"Incredible!" Mike exclaimed. "I was convinced he was dead when I left him in Servito's limousine."

"The police managed to pull him out and transport him to the hospital in one piece. His neck was broken and both of his legs were crushed. Miraculously he kept breathing long enough to give them a pretty good statement."

"Did McDowell ever apologize?" Karen asked.

Turner nodded. "He asked me to convey a sincere apology to both of you, and to express his deep regret any inconvenience the Fed's actions may have caused."

Mike gritted his teeth and pounded his fist on the table, his deep blue eyes exuding outrage and contempt. "Inconvenience!" he shouted. "Those actions nearly cost us our goddamned lives, Dan!"

"When an elephant walks, he's totally unaware of the insects he tramples."

"Do the insects have remedies?" Karen asked.

Turner spread his hands and turned his palms skyward. "You could sue, but I would strongly advise against it. You'd be locked into a protracted and expensive pissing contest. The Feds would defend themselves vigorously. They would insist that they acted entirely within the law, that they had probable cause, and that Jim Servito was entirely responsible for the damages you sustained. At best, you'd get a settlement, but it would be a Pyrrhic victory."

Mike turned to Karen and winked. Turner's assessment of the situation had vindicated his decision. He waited for her nod, then turned again to face Turner. "We've already settled with the Feds."