CHAPTER 47

Brian entered Runway Thirty-eight at seven-thirty and marched to his favorite table at stage side. With a now customary wave of his hand, he ordered a rum and coke. Marsha Ridecki, on bar duty and wearing only tight red silk panties and white cowboy-boots, delivered the drink to his table. "Running a tab tonight, Brian?" she asked, leaning in front of him to advertise her enormous naked breasts.

Brian nodded, his mouth within tongue distance of her breasts. "I'm here for the duration," he said, then leaned back to watch the show.

Nick Bennedetti nursed a beer at the table next to Brian's. He looked every bit the part, built like a bull-dog, dressed in black trousers, black silk shirt, opened at the neck to display a heavy gold chain and generous chest hair. His thick black hair was well oiled and combed straight back. He had begun to enjoy the assignment. Drinking beer and watching girls take their clothes off was substantially more pleasant than cold lonely automobile stakeouts, waiting for something to happen. "Walk in the park," he muttered.

Dinner with Andrea and Miles Dennis exceeded Kerri's expectations. It was served in the high ceilinged dining room of their massive three-story red bricked home in an upscale area of Glen Cove. The warmth with which Andrea had received and welcomed her quickly gave her the assurances she needed. She was glad she had agreed to Miles's proposition. She placed her empty coffee cup in the saucer in front of her and smiled at Andrea. "Thank you for a wonderful dinner, Andrea. This is the first time I've been invited out since I came to New York."

"You're more than welcome," Andrea replied, reaching for Kerri's hand. "May I assume that you'll agree to stay? Before you answer, I want to know that I'll be extremely disappointed if you don't. Now that the kids are gone, Miles is rarely home. You'll be an very welcome addition. I get lonely rattling around in this mausoleum."

Kerri could see why Miles had remained married to Andrea. Vivacious, extremely gregarious and instantly likable, she had retained a youthful figure, and her short auburn hair complemented her freckled smile. Andrea's charm and infectious personality relieved the pressure of her torment. Kerri nodded and grinned. "How can I ever thank you?"

"You just did," Andrea said with a radiant smile. "How soon can you move?"

Kerri was again confronted by her deep sense of responsibility to Brian. Then a frown gradually gave way to a smile. "Guess I don't have to worry about getting anyone's approval."

"Tomorrow?" Andrea asked.

"Tomorrow night, Andrea," Miles answered. He turned to Kerri. "I'll take the car tomorrow. We can leave the office early and go straight to your apartment."

"Do you have much to move?" Andrea asked.

Kerri shook her head. "Not much. Mostly clothes."

"No furniture?"

"It all belongs to Brian."

"That's ridiculous!" Andrea said, raising her voice. "Half of it belongs to you. Just because he paid for it doesn't mean a thing."

"I told Miles I don't want anything from Brian. Taking furniture would be like accepting charity."

Andrea smirked. "Just give me a little time, my dear. I'll change your mind about that."

Miles rolled his eyes skyward, then turned to Kerri. "Andrea's a big city girl from her head to her toes. Don't let her corrupt you, Kerri," he warned.

Andrea glared at him, sticking her tongue out in reaction to her husband's invective. She turned to Kerri again. "I'm having a dinner party on Saturday night. Would you like you to join us?"