CHAPTER 81

Toronto.

Margaret, one of Mike's two secretaries, opened his office door and poked her head inside. "Phillip's out here. He's really anxious to see you."

"Send him in," Mike said, then slumped in his chair.

Phillip entered and walked slowly toward Mike's desk. His eyes were reddened and glazed, the result of hours of rehearsal and anxiety. This was his big chance. His performance would have to be a masterpiece. He had no alternative but to convince Mike he had changed his mind. "Hi," he said, showing no signs of the haughtiness with which he had approached Mike during their previous confrontation.

"What can I do for you?" Mike asked.

"May I have a seat?" Phillip asked, resisting an urge to flop on the couch as he had done in the past.

Mike nodded and pointed.

Phillip lowered himself onto the couch, but sat erect. He gave Mike an expressionless stare. "I've changed my mind about the money. I've had some time to think it and I...I can't do it," he said, sobbing and covering his face with his hands.

"You can't do what?"

"...I can't go through with it. I can't force you and mom to give me the money. No matter how much I want it, I just can't bring myself to hurt mom." He looked up at Mike and blinked. "I know I haven't made it a secret that I don't like you. I probably wouldn't have been sorry to see you go to jail, but I love my mother. I love her too much to do this to her."

Mike leaned forward. "Let me understand this. Are you telling me you're giving up the idea of blackmailing us?"

Phillip removed his hands and stared at Mike, every ounce of concentration focused on appearing sincere. "I can't. I couldn't live with myself if I knew I was responsible for sending mom to prison."

"So you won't object if I give the money to charity?"

Phillip shook his head. "No," he whimpered.

"I'm very proud of you," Mike said, showing a faint smile. "It took a lot of courage to come in here and do this. I'm sure your mother will be proud of you, also."

Phillip's frown slowly give way to a hint of a smile. "Thanks for understanding," he said, then stood and extended his hand. "I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused you."

"Forget it. Get out of here before I fire you," Mike said with a big wink.

Happy, relieved and triumphant, Phillip wheeled and marched from the office.

Mike hurried to his car and called Dan Turner. "Sorry to bother you again, Dan, but I had to tell you about a very significant development. Phillip just came into my office and told me he doesn't want the money. He said he doesn't want to hurt his mother."

"Do you believe him?"

"I want to, but in all honesty, I don't know what to believe any more. I just wanted you to know what he told me."

"Thanks. I've noted your call."

"Should we do anything?"

"No. Instinct tells me we should do nothing to rock the boat. You've held onto that money for a long time and you can hold onto it a little longer. If there's a plan to get it, eventually it will emerge."