CHAPTER 76

The deepening crisis in Kuwait raised agonizing doubts in Visconti's mind. The loss of almost eighty-four million from the King's trust had dealt his pride the most severe blow it had received since the crash of 1987. His nightmare had barely begun.

August 22, 1990.

Iraq possessed the fourth largest army in the world. With one million men and fifty-five hundred tanks, the country represented a serious threat to world stability. The massive buildup of troops and armaments on the Saudi Arabian border suggested strongly that Iraq might continue its aggression. It could conceivably capture forty percent of the worlds oil production, or at least knock out a significant portion of Saudi production. The result in either event would force the price of oil much higher and plunge the world into a deep recession. The spot price of oil shot to a seven year high above thirty-one dollars. Gasoline prices headed for the stratosphere.

Now on his own, Phillip was a man of the world. His lifestyle had changed. So had his expenses. Like Saddam Hussein, his need for money had grown to an acute stage. He was tired of waiting until his twenty-first birthday to claim what he considered his birthright.

He marched into Mike's office at eleven A.M. "Morning, chief," he sang, flashing a diabolical smile. He slammed the door behind him, flopped his body onto the couch beside Mike's desk, then placed his hands behind his head and rested his boots on the arm of the couch. "You and I need to talk," he said.

"So talk," Mike said, straining to retain his composure.

"I don't think I should have to wait until my twenty-first birthday to get the money my father left me...I want it now."

"Why?" Mike asked, deeply disturbed.

"Like I said, my father told me I could have it if anything ever happened to him. That means I should have had it ten years ago. I want my money now, and you have no right to play God with it."

Mike glared at Phillip and shook his head. He had to call the bluff. "That isn't going to happen."

The corners of Phillip's mouth turned upward, forming a cocky smirk. "If it doesn't, I'm going straight to the Feds and tell them everything I know."

Mike's stomach churned. "Tell me exactly what you're going to tell them."

"That you kept my father's money and that you know exactly where it is. You know they'll be delighted to hear it."

"Suppose they ask you how much money there is. What will you tell them?"

"Three hundred million," Phillip replied without hesitation. "That's how much my father said I was going to get. That's how much I want, and I'm betting it's worth something to you to keep me quiet."

"How much do you think it's worth to me?"

"About three hundred million," Phillip replied, aware his answer would enrage Mike.

Mike gripped the arms of his chair to restrain himself from lifting Phillip from the couch and throwing him out of his office. Again he called his bluff. "Obviously I don't want you to go to the feds, but regardless of what you decide to do, I'm still not going to give you one dime of that money."

Phillip's facial expression transformed into one reminding Mike of Jim Servito. Both lips tightened, showing his teeth. "Fuck you!" he shouted, then jumped to his feet and stormed out of the office.

Mike quickly phoned Karen. "We've got big problems. Phillip just marched into my office and told me he wants the money now. He said he's going to the Feds if he doesn't get it...I called his bluff."

"I'm glad you did. I would have done the same thing myself."

Tears gratitude streamed from Mike's eyes. "Do you have any idea how much I love you?"

"Maybe you could show me when you get home tonight."

"That's a promise." Mike hung up, then called Dan Turner. "Maybe all you can do is give me a shoulder to cry on, Dan, but I needed to tell you that Phillip has become a major problem. He just threatened to tell the Feds everything if we don't give him the money now."

"That's kind of a nasty development. What did you say to him?"

"I called his bluff."

"Is it a bluff?"

"I don't know. It's a tough call."

"Then don't make a move until you know. Leave the money where it is for now. If Phillip talks, it won't take the Feds long to contact you. If they do, don't tell them anything. Refer them to me."

"Okay. If it gets that far, what are you going to say to them?"

"Nothing, until they tell me how much they know. When they do, maybe we can do a little horse trading...How much does Phillip know?"

"Too much...What if the Feds are in no mood to trade? Do we run?"

Turner chuckled. "That sounds familiar. I think you're getting ahead of yourself. I know it won't be easy, but try not to think about that for now. Just do nothing and let me know the minute anything significant happens."

Mike hung up, feeling only slightly relieved. He lowered his face into his hands and began to think of the implications of running again. The decision was difficult a decade earlier. This time it would be excruciatingly painful.