CHAPTER 100

Monaco. October 14. 11:00 A.M.

"I'll be there in a minute," Kerri shouted, then stepped from the shower. She hurried to put on her pink silk robe and ran to the door, her hair still wet and dripping.

Lambert met her with a frown. "May I come in?"

Her heart pounding, she clutched Lambert's arm and led him to a chair near the balcony. "Tell me what happened," she demanded, taking the seat next to him.

"If there was any doubt that the Monaco police are playing games with us, they put it to rest today. The good news is that Ullman told me that the government of Monaco strongly preferred to avoid the publicity of a murder trial. He also told me that forensics confirmed that Visconti strangled Schnieder, and that the medical evidence confirmed that Visconti raped you...The bad news is that he said they still aren't convinced that you don't know where the money is." Lambert's lips tightened, his eyes fixed on Kerri's. "We have to prove you don't, and I'm powerless to do that."

Lambert's statement hit Kerri like a lightning bolt. She too was powerless to do that, and unless she could, or unless Miles Dennis could perform a miracle, she was condemned to her Monaco prison, alone, scared, bored, and miserably unhappy.