CHAPTER 89

New York. Friday, September 14, 9:00 A.M.

Six men, three from the F.B.I., and three from the Criminal Investigation Division of the I.R.S., burst into the offices of Mara, Griesdorf and Visconti. After three hours of frantic searching and intensive questioning of all available personnel, they found nothing, no trust, no money, and no Visconti. Even the computer records of the trust had been erased and the hard disks removed. Sue Franklin, Visconti's secretary, subjected to intensive interrogation, was unable to explain the mysterious disappearance of the money and all of the files related to the trust. She said her boss told her he was leaving for a short European vacation.

Toronto.

Dan Turner placed an urgent call to Mike at ten-thirty. "I have some extremely bad news," he said, pausing to allow his point to sink in. "William Dare, an attorney and two other heavy hitters from Revenue Canada came in here this morning and made such a stink about wanting to see me, I had to cancel a meeting. They told me Phillip paid them another visit yesterday and sang like a bird. He told them you've known for ten years of the existence and location of Jim Servito's money. Significantly, he didn't mention his mother. He went on to tell them the trust was managed by Louis Visconti, and that Visconti's disappeared to Europe with the money."

Mike closed his eyes and exhaled. "I guess the game's over. Why the hell didn't they just come over here and arrest me?" he asked, his mind in a spiritless state of surrender.

"They said that in view of their past mistakes in this case, they wanted to be absolutely certain... Why did Phillip do that, Mike? Obviously something provoked him."

"I lost it, Dan. He came in here yesterday and asked if I had given his money to charity. I told him everything, including Visconti's plan to kill him."

"How did he respond?"

"He was mad as hell."

"Well Dare and his boys are mad as hell, too. They smell blood, and I don't think they're going to stop until they get it."

"What did you tell them?"

I said I wasn't acting for Phillip and could not account in any way for his behavior, or his claims. When they asked about you, I told them I wasn't prepared to comment until I had an opportunity to consult with you. Needless to say they want to talk to you as soon as possible."

"I can't believe it! That money is a cancer."

"Well you had better believe it, and it's metastasizing, fast."

"What are my options? I really need your advice, Dan"

"Tell the truth. Admit you were aware of the existence and location of the trust from its inception. Then add that you had recently decided to turn the entire amount over to them and the American government. Tell them you asked me to be your intermediary, but you were prevented from proceeding by Louis Visconti. I will certainly corroborate."

"Where does that take me?"

"...They'll prosecute. You'll be fined and assessed with back taxes, possibly do some time. It's difficult to tell at this point. It all depends on how they view your actions. What you've done is very unique. You were not the one who stole the money. In reality, all you did was to follow the wishes of Phillip's natural father, albeit with malicious intent."

"Do I have any other option?"

"Yes...I almost hesitate to suggest it...You could disappear and hope some miracle happens to end this thing. You must understand if you do that, your disappearance is tantamount to admission of guilt. When the Feds realize you've gone, they'll come after you with everything they've got. If they find you, you can kiss your ass goodbye."