CHAPTER 99

"So what's with the collect call?" Miles jested. "I'm shocked that one of the wealthiest women in Europe can't afford to pay for a telephone call to New York."

Kerri laughed. "So deduct it from my salary."

"Congratulations. You continue to amaze me. You've done exactly what you said you were going to do. I knew you were a winner from the day I met you."

"I haven't done everything yet. I still have to get my dad out of prison and my ass out of this wonderland."

"Why is he in prison and why can't you just leave?"

"Dad tried to dodge a subpoena by hiding on an island north of Toronto. The Feds found him and convicted him of obstruction of justice. I think I'm being detained here because of the money. Pierre Lambert thinks the Monaco Police are delaying action on my case to put pressure on me to tell them where it is."

"That infernal money! Everyone who touches it rolls snake-eyes."

"Well you're touching it now, Miles."

"What do you want me to do with it?"

"Make it grow."

"And how do you expect me to do that?"

"Short crude oil."

Dennis laughed. "Let me amend my last statement. Everyone who touches that money rolls snake-eyes and goes stark raving mad."

"I'm serious, Miles. I've had nothing to do but watch television for days. I'm convinced that the Kuwait problem is going to come to crashing end and crude oil is going to crash with it."

"You know we could lose it all."

"Yes, but what the hell do we have to lose?"

"Work with me on this. Please explain why a hundred and sixty-six million is nothing to lose."

"My only interest in that money is using it to clear my father. We need at least six hundred million to have any hope of doing that. If you can't pull off a miracle with that money, we might as well give it away to charity."

"How high do you want me to fly?"

"As high as you can. Back up the truck and bet the farm."

"What name do you want to put on the account?"

"Forta Equitas, S.A."

"What's that?"

"Visconti's company."

"Incredible!" Dennis declared. "Now I know you've gone stark raving mad. You've risked your life to give me a ton of money. Then you've told me it's useless unless I almost quadruple its value. Now you're telling me to put into an account for your dead boy friend."

"Forta Equitas is mine now. I inherited it from my dead boy friend...Have fun, Mile