CHAPTER 14

Toronto. Saturday, August 26, 1981.

Joy and happiness was the mood in a private room on the fourth floor of Toronto's North York General Hospital. Almost twenty years after their first fateful meeting, Mike and Karen had consolidated their marriage with a love child. A smiling nurse delivered Kevin King, an eight pound seven ounce baby boy, to his proud parents.

"He's absolutely beautiful," Karen said with a broad but strained smile. "Almost as beautiful as his father."

"He doesn't look like me at all," Mike protested.

"Bullshit, King! Maybe he doesn't have your beautiful thatch of blond hair or as many straight teeth, but he's a dead ringer for you."

With tears of joy in his eyes, Mike sat on the bed beside his wife. The birth had filled a void. For a very long time the loss of Kerri from his life had been an unhealed wound. "Thanks, Babe," he said, then kissed her lips. "Thank you from the bottom of my heart. This is the happiest day of my life."

New York. Thursday, December 31, 1981.

Pride urging him to boast about the extraordinary success of his investments, Visconti dialed Mike King's office number in Toronto. "I'm sorry to bother you Mike but I couldn't resist calling. I have fantastic news."

"What is it?"

"The value of your trust now exceeds four hundred and fifteen million."

"That's wonderful. This is the last time I'm going to tell you this. If you ever call me again and mention one word about the trust, you're fired. Is that understood?" Mike barked, then quickly hung up.

Humiliated, Visconti swallowed his pride and had the annual report on the trust mailed to Mike's postal box in Toronto.