CHAPTER 72

Visconti received an urgent call from Zurich at nine the following morning. "Good news. I've found a man who's perfect for our requirements," Schnieder announced.

"Who?" Visconti asked.

"His name is Olaf Leutweiler. He's the president of Weisscredit Bankhaus in Geneva. He has agreed to work with us and to provide Mike King with all the necessary assurances."

"Wonderful. How much is he going to cost us?"

"Five million."

"Ouch! Alfred, that's a ton of money!"

"It is but you must understand that he is a crucial link in the procedure. What we are asking him to do involves great personal risk. It is a serious crime for bankers to behave in a fraudulent manner in this country."

"Can we trust him?"

"Implicitly. He's been a banker in Switzerland for most of his life, and a friend of mine for almost as long. Here, bankers learn quickly that their survival is proportional to their ability to keep secrets and to honor commitments. He has survived for a long time."

"Okay, so we'll give him his pound of flesh," Visconti conceded.

"Has King contacted you?"

"No. Has he called you?"

"No, and it's beginning to concern me. Why do you think he's delaying? He sounded quite anxious when he called and asked me to help him dispose of the money. Perhaps I should call him and tell him how I propose to do it."

"Good idea. While you're at it, ask him if he's called me and let me know how he responds."

Schnieder called Mike at his Toronto office. "Good morning, Mike. It's Alfred Schnieder. I called to inform you that I have developed a plan to achieve all of your objectives, cleanly. I presume you know what I mean. Would you like to hear it?"

"Sure."

"We'll work through a friend of mine. His name is Olaf Leutweiler. He's the president of Weisscredit Bankhaus, a well respected bank in Geneva. He has assured me that the entire exercise can be completed with the utmost secrecy. It will never be necessary for him, or anyone else to know the source of the funds. He suggested that the confirmation can be done by means of a prearranged code into a designated answering machine...How do you like the plan?"

Mike gave no response, his mind far from the conversation.

"Are you still there?"

"Sorry. I was thinking...I like the plan. Thanks for letting me know."

"When would you like to proceed?"

"I'm not sure. I'll let you know."

"Have you made Louis Visconti aware of your plan?"

"Not yet. I just haven't had the time. I've been really busy with a number of other matters," Mike said, reluctant to alarm or trust Schnieder with the knowledge of Phillip's threat.

"I don't mean to impose unwelcome pressure on you, Mike, but Olaf may not be available if we delay too long."

"I understand what you're saying, Alfred. I'll get back to you as soon as I can."

"I'll await your call."

Mike hung up, agonizing over the growing pressure of the vise into which Phillip had placed him. "Damn that kid!" he shouted, thumping his desk with his right fist.

Schnieder again called Visconti. "The good news is that King likes the plan. The bad news is that something is definitely causing him to delay."

"Did he say what it is?" Visconti asked.

"No."

"Can you speculate?"

"I haven't the slightest idea."

"Then call me the minute you hear from him."

"I will, and would be grateful if you did the same."