CHAPTER 12

New York. October 24, 1980.

In accordance with Alfred Schnieder's prediction, and to the enormous relief of Louis Visconti, interest rates began to tick northward. Until that point, conflicting newspaper articles and numerous mixed signals had constantly plagued Visconti's mind and caused him to sweat his decision to liquidate investments in stocks. Newspapers and financial publications had been filled with stories about Paul Volker, the second most powerful man in the United States. Volumes had been written about his preoccupation with inflationary psychology and his failure to break it. Throughout the summer, optimists and bond bulls had confidently predicted a rapid decline in rates and a return to better times. Visconti had stayed the course and now had more than fifty percent of King's trust committed to short sales of corporate and government bonds. He stood to lose a fortune if Schnieder was wrong.

Toronto. October 31, 1980.

Mike shook his head as he stared at Karen's dinner plate. "Babe, you haven't touched your filet. Aren't you hungry?"

Karen grinned as she stared at the uneaten meat. "I can't eat another molecule. I stuffed myself at lunch today." She changed the subject. "Tell me about your daughter. You never talk about her."

"What do you want to know?"

"Everything. The only thing I know is that you have one. Where is she now? Have you communicated with her since you and Barbara split?"

"Often, particularly after Barbara moved to San Diego. Aside from the distance and time involved in continuing my visitation privileges, Barbara began to make things difficult for me."

"How?"

"Whenever I phoned and told her I wanted to see Kerri, she invented an excuse. It didn't matter what I said, the visit was always inconvenient for her. I think she wanted me to cease and desist, and her new husband to become a surrogate father to Kerri."

"Did you continue to write?"

"Every week, until my letters started to be returned, unopened." Again Mike shook his head, tears flooding his eyes. He looked away. "That broke my heart. She was nine years old when I last saw her. I considered hiring a lawyer, but didn't. I reasoned that it didn't matter what I did, there was absolutely no way I could ever be a father to her. I saw myself as a meddling sentimental fool who moved in and out of her life. So I decided to stay out of it. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. It hurt, and it's still hurting."

"She'll find you," Karen predicted. "Her need to know you will eventually consume her."

Mike displayed a worried frown and looked away. "I wish I could share your optimism," he said, then changed the subject. "Would you like some wine?"

"No thanks."

With bottle in hand, Mike dropped his lower jaw. "I don't believe it. I can't remember the last time you refused red wine. Are you ill?"

Karen's face and smile glowed in the soft candlelight. "We're pregnant, King. No more booze for the duration."

"That's incredible news!" Mike said with gigantic smile and beaming with pride. He placed the bottle on the table, then hurried to her side. He leaned and kissed her, long and passionately. After the kiss he stared into her dark brown eyes. "A toast. Join me with a glass of milk."

"Milk makes me sick, but I'll join you with water and extreme pleasure."

Mike filled Karen's wine glass with water, then raised his glass. "To the newest member of the King family," he said as they clinked their glasses. "How long have you known?"

"I've suspected it for three weeks. The doctor confirmed it today. She said we're both very healthy, and there's no reason to believe we can't have a normal healthy baby, sometime next August...She strongly recommended amniocentesis."

"What's that?"

"It's a test, particularly for women over thirty-five. They stick a long needle into the womb and draw out a sample of amniotic fluid. They test the fluid for Down's Syndrome and other genetic abnormalities. While they're at it, they determine the sex of the child."

Mike smiled, attempting to hide his worry. "So we're going to know?"

"If you're referring to the sex of the child, they won't tell you unless you ask. Any preference?"

"I think I would like to have a boy or a girl," Mike said, privately hoping it would be a girl.

"I like your chances, King."