CHAPTER 86

New York. Thursday, September 13.

It was hot for mid September, uncomfortable in the sun for even short exposures.

Visconti took Kerri to lunch at Heinrich's, a tiny restaurant specializing in Bavarian foods and offering pleasant outdoor dining facilities, just off Broadway. They found a table for two, fortunately under a large green umbrella. Both ordered bratwurst on the bun with Bavarian beer. Visconti placed his hands behind his head and leaned backward. He smiled as he closed his eyes and took a deep breath through his nostrils. "This is the way I want us to live the rest of our lives. No more big deals. Just you and me and Europe." He leaned forward, his eyes glazed as he stared into Kerri's, pain and stress obvious. "The thrill of the chase is gone. I'm burned out. I haven't got what it takes any more."

Even though Kerri felt little pity for Visconti, she now knew the enormous losses he had sustained had affected him deeply. "I'm sorry to hear that. How serious are you about getting out?"

"Very. I've never been more serious about anything in my life."

"I hope it's not because you got a bloody nose in crude oil."

"So you know," he said, his face flushing to crimson.

"Of course I know. I was in Miles office when he got you out."

"It's not just that," Visconti admitted, his eyes twitching. "Burnout isn't the result of one single event. It's a cumulative thing. It's voracious. It eats away at your confidence, and when that's gone, you're finished as an investor."

"When do you intend to go?"

"Tomorrow."

Kerri's internal alarm exploded. Tomorrow was too soon. She had to delay. She knew her father needed more time. "Tomorrow! What am I going to tell Miles?"

"Just tell him we're going to Europe on a short vacation. I'll tell my partners the same thing. That'll be it. We'll be gone."

"What are we going to live on? I don't think we can collect unemployment insurance in Europe."

"We won't have to work another day of our lives. That deal I told you I was working on is about to pay off, big time."

There was now no doubt in Kerri's mind. Visconti intended to scoop the money in the trust and escape to Europe with it. "But what if it doesn't?" she asked.

"Don't worry. It will," Visconti promised.

"How soon?"

Visconti shrugged his shoulders and fidgeted nervously with his fork. "Today or tomorrow."

"Then let me know when your ship comes in. We'll talk then."

"What's the matter? Is it something I said? Are you angry?"

Kerri glared at Visconti with all of the acting skills she could muster. "I can't just pack up and leave. I don't think you understand a damn thing about me, Louis Visconti. Not too long ago, another man lured me all the way to New York with the same kind of promises. I don't think I have to remind you of how many he kept."

"Is it money? Is that what you want?"

"You still don't understand. I don't want money. I want certainty. I want to know I'm not going to be left alone and out of work in some foreign country when you get tired of me."

"Then I'll give you an agreement. I'll sign anything you want. I'll give you fifty percent of everything I own, without conditions. If I die, you can have it all. I love you, Kerri. I'll do anything to prove it to you."

Kerri believed Visconti only so far, but not nearly far enough to let her guard down. Maybe he really did love her, but his love of money ruled him. If he was prepared to kill Phillip for money, he wouldn't hesitate to kill her to release himself from obligations contained in an agreement. She stood and forced a smile. "I have to get back to work, Louis. I've got a million things to do this afternoon."

"Kerri, please give me an answer," he pleaded. "If I give you an agreement, will you come to Europe with me?"

"You're asking me to take a big step, Louis. I need time. You've had a lifetime to think about it."

Again Visconti gave Kerri a cold gray stare. "Don't take long. I have to get out. I'm done."

Visconti's warning sounded more like an ultimatum. It forced her to make a decision. She smiled and reached for his hand. "Get Jackie Crawford to prepare the agreement this afternoon. Now can we get going?"

Within minutes of Visconti's return to his office, he placed orders to sell all of the stocks and bonds in the King's trust. He used the entire cash balance to purchase, for the benefit of the trust, one hundred percent of the shares of Forta Equitas, S.A., a shell company solely owned by Visconti. The proceeds from the sale were placed in his numbered account in the Banco Privata Svissera, in Geneva. He telephoned Jackie Crawford.

"What no good are you up to now, Louis?" Jackie asked.

"Just looking after my interests," Visconti replied with a chuckle. "How are you coming along with Kerri's divorce?"

"At the usual breathtaking pace. Why? You anxious to marry her? You don't deserve her, you know. She's far too young, beautiful and honest for you."

"I probably don't, but I still want to marry her. I also want you to prepare a prenuptial agreement. In it, I want a clause giving her fifty percent of everything I own. No conditions."

"Sounds like she took my advice. Smart girl. What about survivorship? You want her to have all your worldly wealth in the fortunate event of your death?"

"Don't be nasty...Sure. Make it reciprocal."

"How soon do you want it?"

"Courier it to my office before six."

"Wow! You must be in some kind of hurry."

"Just do it, Jackie. See you around."

Kerri received a call from Dan Turner at two-fifteen. "Kerri, my name is Dan Turner. I'm an attorney in Toronto. I act for your father."

"Hi. Yes, my father told me who you are. he spoke very highly of you."

"I advised him that it's time to move the funds in the King's trust out of Louis Visconti's hands. He suggested they could be held by Iacardi & Sons. Good. Shortly, you will be contacted by a lawyer in New York. His name is Thomas Hinkin. He'll tell you exactly what he needs and what he wants you to do. Any problems?"

"I don't think so. I'll have to clear it with my boss. His name is Miles Dennis."

"How much does he know?"

"Everything. I had to tell him to preserve my sanity. Don't worry. I trust him completely. If you don't hear from me within ten minutes, assume it's clear."

"Thank you," Turner said, concerned about the growing list of people who knew everything.

"Don't hang up...Would you please tell my father that Louis is planning to run to Europe tomorrow. I'm going with him."

"Damn! Then we'll have to move fast."