CHAPTER 42

She was awakened by a stabbing pain caused by the pressure of her left cheek against her pillow. After a moment of disorientation her thoughts returned to her New York job and to her marriage, both of which were terminal. Even though a large part of her wanted to return, she knew it would be impossible to survive alone in that expensive city on her salary. Her expenses would easily eclipse her income from the job which had given her a measure of independence she had never before experienced.

A gentle knock interrupted her thoughts.

Barbara opened the door barely enough to look in. "Good. You're awake. How are you?"

"Fine."

"Want to talk?" Barbara asked, then sat on the bed beside Kerri.

Kerri shook her head. "It hurts too much."

Barbara reached for Kerri's hand. "I understand...Do you want to be alone?"

"No. Please stay."

"Guess what," Barbara said, almost bursting with excitement, her face radiating happiness and anticipation. "The wedding's tomorrow afternoon. That urgent business David said he had to complete was really to set the whole thing up. Nigel Bennett, a minister in Victoria and a dear friend of David's, will be taking the ferry to Vancouver tomorrow morning. David and Nigel are going to take us to lunch at my favorite restaurant in the whole world. Then we're going to come back here and get dressed. At four, I'm going to marry that man and spend the rest of my life with him."

"Where's the ceremony going to be?"

"On top of Grouse Mountain."

"Fabulous! Have you planned a honeymoon?" Kerri asked, dying inside yet prodding herself to share her mother's joy.

Barbara frowned, shook her head and squeezed Kerri's hand.. "We can't go anywhere under the circumstances...I can't leave you now."

"Yes you can," Kerri insisted. "I won't let you to miss one day of happiness because of me. I won't let you do it, mom. It wouldn't be fair to you or David."

"Then come with us. David wants to go up to Whistler for a couple of days, then to Hawaii for two weeks."

"That wouldn't work and you know it. I'd be a terrible drag. Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. I've learned how to survive on my own. Be happy, mom. If you don't go on that honeymoon, I'm going to tell David to kidnap you."

"What will you do? Have you made any decisions?"

Kerri shook her head.

"Will you join us for dinner at the Bayshore tonight? David really wants to get to know you."

Kerri smiled. "I'd like that very much."

New York. Saturday, March

Tina DeSouza placed a quarter in the pay telephone inside the entrance to Runway Thirty-eight. She dialed the number of The Times.

A woman answered. "The Times. How may I help you?" she asked.

"May I speak to the sports editor, please?"

"One moment."

Seconds later, a man answered, "Hi. Mark Duncan speaking. What can I do for you?"

"Are you the sports editor?"

"Ah, no. I'm his assistant. May I help you?"

"Maybe you can...Have you ever heard of Brian Pyper?"

"If you're talking about the Jets' quarterback, I sure have. Why?"

"You interested in a big scoop?"

"I like scoops of all sizes. What have you got?"

"Pyper's spending a lot of time with a stripper at Runway Thirty-eight, near La Guardia. Her name is Tina DeSouza."

"Sounds interesting. Who am I talking to?"

"That's not important. If you're interested in the story, just send a reporter to Runway Thirty-eight, tonight. Make sure he has a camera."

"They don't allow cameras inside strip-joints. Just tell me what a reporter's going to see."

"Tell him to use his imagination," Tina said, then hung up.