CHAPTER 78

Newark International Airport. 9:35 P.M.

Thirty minutes before Phillip's Air Canada DC-9 touched down, a heavy downpour had drenched the area, bringing welcome relief from the sweltering heat of late August. A spectacular sunset caused the night sky to explode into a pyrotechnical delight.

Phillip's yellow taxi splashed to a stop in front of Visconti's apartment building forty minutes later. The sky, although almost dark, still glowed with a reddish purple hue. Phillip paid the driver and jumped out. When he reached the front door of the building, he tried to open one of the twin plate glass doors by pulling its gold plated handle. Realizing the door was locked, he pressed polished brass doorbell button on the concrete wall beside the doors.

Seconds later, he heard a man's voice in the stainless steel grating above the button. "Are you visiting, sir?"

"Yes, I'm here to see Louis Visconti. He's expecting me," Phillip replied.

"Your name please?"

"Phillip Servito."

"One moment, sir."

Thirty seconds later, Phillip heard an electronic buzz inside the lock between the doors. "You may open the door now, Mr. Servito," the security guard said. "Mr. Visconti is on the sixth floor. He'll be waiting for you when you get off the elevator."

"When the doors to the ancient elevator opened on the sixth floor, Phillip stepped out to meet Visconti. "Phillip, good to see you," Visconti said, forcing a smile and attempting to ignore his visitor's scruffy and unshaven appearance. "Welcome to New York and to my home. It's just down the hallway. Follow me." Visconti led his guest to the apartment and into his den. "Take the most comfortable seat you can find in there. I'm going to the kitchen to get myself some tea. Can I get you something?"

"You got any beer?"

"Sure. I'll be right back," Visconti said, then hurried to the kitchen where he found Kerri dressed in her pale pink robe and preparing a small pot of tea. "You look outrageously beautiful," he said, wrapping her in his arms and giving her an apologetic kiss. "I'm sorry I had to screw up our Friday night."

Kerri smiled and kissed Visconti's cheek. "I really don't mind. I'm going upstairs to have a long hot bath and a good sleep. I need both."

"Stop by the den on your way. I'll introduce you to Phillip. You've got to see this kid. You won't believe him. He looks like a leftover from Woodstock."

"I'll be there in a minute."

Visconti poured himself some tea, removed a can of Heineken from the fridge, then hurried back to the den. He handed the can to Phillip, then took a seat on the couch beside him. "I'm curious to know why you're using your given name. I understand Mike adopted you some time ago."

Phillip snapped the lid of the beer can and chugged several mouthfuls. "I hate Mike King and everything he stands for," he declared, then wiped his mouth with his hand.

Distracted, Visconti shifted his eyes toward the door. "Kerri, come in and meet Phillip," he said, smiling and jumping to his feet.

Phillip turned to face Kerri. His mouth opened involuntarily as he slowly lifted himself from the couch, captivated by her beauty and staring at her as if mesmerized.

Kerri raised her right hand. "Hi," she said, not the slightest bit interested in Visconti's slovenly guest.

"Good to meet you," Phillip said.