CHAPTER 59

Both were startled by the loud thump caused by the bedroom door striking the inside wall. "Don't do it Pyper!" Visconti ordered.

Brian bolted upright and glared at Visconti. "Who the hell are you?" he asked.

"A friend of Kerri's. I think it's time you got the hell out of here."

Brian, four inches taller and forty pounds heavier than Visconti, smirked. "What are you going to if I don't, hurt me?"

"I'm not going to do anything, but the courts will. I heard enough of what's going on here to qualify as a witness. The choice is yours. You can stay and dig yourself into a deeper hole, or leave now. You don't have much time. The police are on their way as I speak."

Brian stood and approached Visconti with stiffened lips, teeth clenched. Visconti's muscles tightened in anticipation as Brian passed within an inch of his body, avoiding contact, but close enough for Visconti to smell him.

"I won't forget this, asshole!" Brian hissed, then left the room and hurried down the stairs.

Relieved and overjoyed, Kerri leapt from the bed and headed for Visconti. With total disregard for her state of undress, she wept as she threw her arms around him and held him with all of her strength.

Visconti returned the hug, silently wishing the circumstances were different.

"How did you know?" she asked, still clinging tightly to her savior.

"I got lonely, so I decided to drive over here and knock on your door. I saw the black Jaguar in the driveway and assumed you and Brian were making a fast reconciliation, or he was here against your will. "

"How did you know it was him?"

"Easy. He has 'JETS QB' on his plate. I found the front door unlocked, so I just walked in and followed the noise. I can't tell you how happy I was not to hear the sounds of reconciliation."

Kerri lifted her head and looked into Visconti's eyes. "Are the police really coming?"

Visconti shook his head and and placed his index finger against his lips. "Don't tell Brian," he whispered.

"Thank you, Louis. Thank you so very much," Kerri said, strengthening her hold.

"My pleasure...My fondest hope was to find you here alone, bored and receptive to spending a few quality hours with me. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to have you half naked and in my arms...You should get dressed. Then I want to talk to you about an idea that I have."

"Talk to me now," Kerri demanded. "I'm still not ready to let you go."

Visconti lifted her chin and looked into her eyes. "Your husband might not give up, so I don't think it would be a good idea for you to stay here tonight."

"Where can I go?"

"I own an apartment in Manhattan. There was a time when the company used it a lot for business entertaining, but now that we've established our client base, it's empty most of the time. My partners and I use it only when the weather makes it tough to go home...I'd like you to stay there, at least until Miles and Andrea come home. If you like it, however, you're welcome to stay there as long as you want."

Kerri blushed. "That's an extremely kind offer, but I couldn't."

"You can, and you will, starting right now. You'll be safe there and extremely comfortable. I promise. I also promise to stay there with you until it's safe for you to come back here, if you'll have me."

"Have you! I won't let you out of my sight!" As Kerri spoke she realized that within minutes of being in a terrifying position, she was happy, protected, actually able to smile. "You're very good for me," she said, then kissed his cheek.

"The feeling is mutual, Mrs. Pyper."

Kerri frowned. "I wish you hadn't mentioned that name. I was just beginning to forget it."

"You should think about getting rid of it forever, but we can talk about that later. Now, we should get out of here. Get yourself dressed, pack a bag, and don't forget to include a track suit. We're going jogging in Central Park tomorrow."