CHAPTER 58

Glen Cove. Friday, April 13, 1990.

Brian's Jaguar rolled to a stop, no more than a hundred yards from the driveway of Dennis's house. A six-pack of Budweiser rested on the seat beside him. He opened his first can and took a huge gulp. By the time he was half way through his third can, he saw Kerri walking toward him in the distance. Her red spring coat and flowing blond hair convinced him he was minutes away from his date with destiny. He chugged as much beer as he he could, then started his car.

When Kerri turned from the sidewalk to the concrete path leading to Dennis's home he pushed the accelerator to the floor. Kerri froze when she heard the loud squealing of the car's tires against the pavement. She turned to see the black Jaguar racing onto the driveway. She darted toward the verandah, but Brian jumped from the car and caught her before she reached the wooden steps.

"Let me go!" she screamed, struggling frantically to break free of his bear-like hug. Terrifying thoughts raced through her brain. The glazed determination in Brian's eyes was a clear indication of his intentions. The smell of alcohol on his breath was even more ominous.

"I waited and waited for you to come home," Brian said, pulling her against his body. "You're my wife, Kerri. You belong with me."

"It's over, Brian," she said, desperately trying to think of a way to escape. "I told you I'm not coming home. Not ever."

"We belong together," he insisted, the slurring of his words a clear indication that he was intoxicated. "We promised to love each other until death do us part."

"Sure we did, and we also promised to forsake all others."

"Let's go inside," Brian said with a contorted smile. He dragged her up the stairs to the verandah.

"Think about what you're doing, Brian," Kerri warned. "Andrea will call the police as soon as she sees you."

"You and I know they've both gone for the weekend. It'll be just the two of us, and there won't be anyone to bother us. Now open the door like an obedient wife," he demanded.

Shocked that Brian knew she was alone, Kerri feared the worst. "I'm not going to open it," she said defiantly.

"Give me the key!" Brian ordered.

Kerri removed the key from her coat pocket, placed it in Brian's hand, then watched as he turned his body toward the door. The moment he turned to watch the insertion of the key, she bolted from the verandah, leaped down the seven stairs and ran across the the lawn. Her progress slowed as the soles of her leather loafers slipped on the dried grass.

Brian, dressed in jeans and sneakers, caught up with her and tackled her by grasping her shoulders and dragging her to the ground. He cupped his right hand over her mouth, pulled her to her feet and marched her back to the front door of the house. The more she struggled, the tighter he held her. He used his left hand to unlock and open the door, then he pulled her inside. He released her long enough to slam and lock the door. Kerri seized the opportunity to race to the den. She lifted the telephone receiver and began to dial nine-one-one. She heard a loud click before she could complete the dialing. Her heart sank when she looked up to see Brian dangling the telephone plug in front of her eyes.

"Don't try that again," he said with an evil smile. "Show me the kitchen. I could use a cold beer. All this exercise has made me thirsty."

Kerri realized it would be foolish and dangerous to run. She decided to cooperate and wait for an opportunity to escape. She led Brian to the kitchen.