CHAPTER 31

New York. Sunday, November 26, 1989.

"May I speak to Kerri Pyper, please?"

"Speaking," Kerri replied.

"It's Doctor David Hanley, Kerri. I'm calling from Buffalo General hospital. I'm told that you're already aware that your husband was injured this afternoon."

"Yes. How is he?" her heart racing.

"He's under sedation and resting right now...He has badly torn ligaments his right knee. The good news is that he'll probably play football again. The bad news is that it won't be until next season, at the earliest."

Kerri was relieved, but heartbroken. "Please tell him I'm flying to Buffalo as soon as I can get a flight," Kerri said, aware of how much Brian had worried about being injured and unable to play.

"Not a good idea. Stay where you are. The team has made arrangements to fly him to New York early tomorrow morning. They'll send him home in a limousine from the airport. I'll have the team physician call you with the details."

"Will he be able to walk?"

"With difficulty. We put a cast on the knee and loaned him a pair of crutches...I should warn you that he'll need at least one operation to repair the torn ligaments, as soon as the swelling subsides...Even though I'm a Bills fan, I want you to know how much respect I have for your husband's ability, and how truly sorry I am that this has happened."

"Thank you for saying that," Kerri said, then hung up and immediately phoned Miles Dennis. "It's Kerri," she said, tears gushing. "I just called to tell you that I won't be..."

"Don't even think about it," Dennis interrupted. "I watched the game. I don't want to see you in this office until you're ready to return. Brian's going to need you more than me."

A dark blue airport limousine glided to a stop at the curb in front of Kerri's apartment building at ten forty-five the following morning. Seconds later, a rear door was opened by Gary Smith, one of the Jets' trainers.

Kerri raced to help. When she reached the limousine, Brian was already on the sidewalk with crutches in his left hand and his right arm around Smith's shoulders. Kerri grabbed the crutches and placed Brian's left arm around her shoulders. "I'm so glad you're home," she said, squeezing him with her right arm. "I can't tell you how much I worried about you."

"What a piss-off!" Brian muttered. "It was a cheap shot. I'm already down and some animal piles on. The Bills got fifteen yards and I'm out for the season. Anyway you cut it, that's a piss-off."

"Fortunately you're not out for life," Kerri replied in a vain attempt to console Brian. "The doctor told me you'll be back next season."

"Terrific!" Brian hissed. "I'm going to be a fucking vegetable for months."