CHAPTER 26

After racing through another two days of her frustrating job search, Kerri returned to the Long Island Community College, this time early enough to have a choice of all the front row seats.

Dennis, reviewing his notes on a chair behind the lectern, looked up and recognized Kerri immediately. It was difficult for him not to recognize her. Dressed in a tight pink skirt and breast enhancing red cashmere sweater, she was drop dead gorgeous. Her long blonde hair, large blue eyes and infectious white smile reached out and captivated him. "I'm glad to see my star pupil has returned," he said with a big smile. "It's like a breath of fresh air to see a woman showing such interest in my class."

Kerri smiled, nodded politely, then took a seat in the front row.

"I'm curious to know why you have an interest in commodities. Would you mind telling me?" Dennis asked, continuing to stare at Kerri, captivated by her beauty.

Embarrassed by his stare and nervous about answering the personal question, Kerri blushed. "I was involved in a business case study in my last year of university. The more involved I got, the more the subject interested me."

"What university was that?"

"The University of British Columbia."

"You're Canadian?"

Kerri smiled and nodded.

"What brought you to New York?"

"I married a football player. He brought me here."

"Really. Who does he play for?"

"The Jets. He's their quarterback."

"Brian Pyper?"

Once again Kerri nodded, displaying a proud smile.

"You sure know how to pick 'em. I think he's an extremely talented quarterback, even better than Nameth. Maybe they'll win another Super Bowl with him."

"That's his fondest dream."

"Oh no," Dennis said, suddenly realizing his oversight. "I rudely asked your husband's name without first asking yours. Can you ever forgive me?"

"Certainly. I'm Kerri."

Dennis stood and approached her. "Delighted to meet you, Kerri Pyper," he said, reaching for her hand, and practically drooling over her good looks. "I have some great books on commodities. Would you be interested in reading them?"

"I certainly would. Thank you for offering."

"Fine. I'll bring them here next Tuesday...Or maybe you could pick them up at my office. Do you ever get to Manhattan?"

"My job search has taken me there many times, regrettably all in vain."

"That sounds like fun. What type of work are you looking for? I mean, do you have something specific in mind?"

"I'm really not qualified to do anything specific, but I would really like to find a job that would give me some business experience. Eventually I want to return to university and get an MBA."

Dennis reached into the inside pocket of his jacket and removed a card. "Here's my business card," he said, handing it to Kerri. "Please drop by my office anytime. I'll have the books waiting for you. If you don't make it, I'll bring them with me on Tuesday."

Now that Kerri had talked to Dennis on a personal level, she liked him even more. Maybe it was his sincerety, or the self-confidence he exuded without appearing arrogant. Both reminded her of so many self-effacing but competant Canadians she had known. Uncertain why she wanted to see him again, or even impress him, she just did it instinctively. She reached the front door of Iacardi & Sons at eleven-fifteen the following morning, she opened it and entered the sparsely decorated reception area.

Dennis appeared seconds later. "Hi," he said, delighted to see her. "Sorry we don't have a receptionist here. We replaced her with a video monitor. Welcome to my kingdom."

Kerri's face flushed red and she lied, "I had a job interview down here this morning, so I thought I would drop by and pick up the books you offered to me last night."

Dennis gave her an understanding smile. "Would you like to come in? I'll show you our operation."

Kerri nodded, thrilled and excited. She had expected Dennis to give her the books and show her the door. Instead, she found herself in the financial center of the world and about to be introduced to a fascinating business by a man she barely knew.

At one o'clock, Dennis lifted three books from the table behind his desk and handed them to Kerri. "Take these and spend as much time as you want with them. If you enjoy them half as much as I did, your time will be well spent. Feel free to call me if you have any questions."

Kerri smiled. "Thank you, Miles. Thank you for your time and for the books. I wish there was some way I could express my appreciation."

"There is," Dennis said with a large grin. "You could come to Iacardi & Sons and work for me."

"I could?" Kerri asked, shocked, thrilled and surprised by the offer.

"Sure. If you agree, I would like you to be my assistant. I can't pay you much, but I guarantee you'll never be bored. You'll have a wonderful opportunity to learn the business from the inside...You interested?"

"Interested! I'd be delighted!"

"Then I'll see you sharp at eight tomorrow morning. I've been looking for an assistant for quite a while," Dennis said as he shook Kerri's hand. "I was about to hire one until you came along. She has all the secretarial skills I could want, but there's no way she has the keen interest in the business that you do. To me, what you have is far more important. My instinct tells me you'll do very well at the job, and that you'll like it. I promise I'll do my best to keep it interesting."

"I'll do my best to justify your choice," Kerri promised, thrust into a state of euphoria. She had a job. At last her meaningless empty days were about to come to an end. Now she could contribute, start to grow again. Not only would she be working in a business which fascinated her, she would be working for Miles Dennis. Tomorrow could not come soon enough. She wished Brian was with her to share her incredible news.

Dennis found Kerri waiting on one of the two wooden chairs in the reception area of Iacardi & Sons at seven-thirty the following morning. She had dressed neatly in white silk blouse, navy blue jacket and light gray skirt.

"You're going to be very successful here, young lady. Come on in. I'll introduce you to all the crazies who work here." He led her to the inner office and took the time to introduce her to each of the office staff and account executives. The final introductions were to Charles and Mario Iacardi, the two sons and only progeny of Armando Iacardi, the firm's founder. Together, they held eighty-five percent of the company's stock. The remaining fifteen percent was employee owned. With the formalities completed, Dennis spent much of the remainder of the day familiarizing Kerri with the investment portfolios of his clients, including the one held by the King's trust.

Thrilled with her new status, Kerri wanted to tell two people: Brian, her beloved husband, and Mike King, the father she had not seen since she was nine years of age