CHAPTER 33

New York. January 12, 1990.

Brian's right knee had healed to the point where he could begin physical therapy. While the pain of the injury and the subsequent operations continued to prevent him from running or subjecting his knee to sustained pressure, he was finally able to walk a short distance.

In addition to the pain and suffering the injury had caused him, it had taken a severe toll on his relationship with Kerri. Their infrequent conversations usually erupted into arguments. Affectionate touching, once a large component of their marriage, had all but disappeared. Their sexual relationship had also changed. The tender, sharing lovemaking of their past had been replaced by sporadic and selfish intercourse, initiated solely by Brian whenever he felt the need for release. He no longer had the patience to ensure that Kerri was satisfied. Whenever she expressed or demonstrated the need to be loved, he rejected her, or demeaned her, usually fomenting another argument.

Brian's drinking also increased. His renewed mobility enabled him to do it away from the apartment and to use therapy as an excuse. At first Kerri believed his only destination was the team's training center. Only when he began to return with the unmistakable smell of alcohol on his breath did she suspect that he had been detouring. Rather than confront him with her suspicion, she chose instead to welcome him and ask him about the progress of his knee. Her heart told her that once the knee was completely healed, he would discontinue his excessive drinking and become the caring sensitive man she had once loved so dearly. Her mind told her the problem was much more serious, and that the marriage was in deep trouble.

Believing he could help, she decided to confide in Miles Dennis. She waited until he was alone in his office and not on the telephone, then entered and closed the door behind her. She took a seat and faced him.

"Problems?" Dennis asked, smiling but continuing to read.

"Yes, but not what you think...Are you any good at marriage counseling?"

Dennis pushed aside his file, leaned backward and relaxed. "Not bad. Why?"

"It's Brian," Kerri said, her voice cracking, tears flooding her eyes and rolling down her cheeks.

Dennis bolted upright, sensing Kerri was deeply troubled. "Tell me the whole story," he demanded. "Don't leave anything out. Get it all out of your system."

Kerri lowered her head and wiped her eyes with the back of her hands. "I don't know him any more, Miles," she whimpered, desperation obvious. "Ever since he came home from the hospital in Buffalo, he's changed. He's drinking, heavily. I can't even have a civilized conversation with him."

"Has he ever hit you?"

"No. I don't think he's a violent person. I'm more worried about what he might do to himself."

"What do you think he might do to himself?"

"Aside from ruining his health and career, I don't know."

"Has he threatened to leave you?"

"No."

"Is there another woman?"

Tears reappeared. "I don't think so."

"Then the problem seems relatively simple...Before the game in Buffalo, the two of you were happy. Everything was wonderful. Right?"

Kerri nodded.

"Then everything went to hell, in a hurry."

"That's all true but..."

"Then it's simple. What's the most important thing that's missing from his life?"

"Football?"

Dennis shook his head. "Something more important than that."

Suddenly Kerri realized what she had overlooked for so long. "Recognition."

"Exactly. I knew you were a bright girl. Brian's a celebrity. He's been living on a steady diet of adoring fans and media attention. Suddenly he's injured and goes off the diet, cold turkey. At first he feels sorry for himself. Then he supplements his diet with booze."

"But how do I help him?"

"Somewhere in the back of his mind he knows he's screwing up his life and his marriage, but self-pity is still the overriding consideration, and booze is still the higher priority. You should give him all the love and attention you can. Avoid criticizing him. You should also talk to his teammates. Tell them exactly what you've told me. They might be able to reach Brian in ways unavailable to you. Peer pressure is a very powerful force. It might work."

Discussing her problem openly, and without reservation was enormously therapeutic to Kerri. "You're wonderful, Miles," she said, feeling an injection of relief and renewed strength.

"Don't you ever forget it. I invested in you because I think you're a winner. However I'm aware that even winners have to be happy to perform to their potential. Don't keep me in the dark, Kerri. I want to know everything that happens. If you have further problems, I want to know about them immediately. Is that understood?"

"Understood. Thanks again, Miles."