CHAPTER 40

Kerri returned to the apartment at six-thirty. Before she could close the door, Brian was in front of her, displaying a sheepish grin and blocking her entry with outstretched arms. He was unshaven and wore a wrinkled white T-shirt and red and white striped boxer shorts.

She tried to duck under his right arm and pass him, but he lowered it and held her.

The smell of beer filled her with revulsion. She tried in vain to squirm free, then snapped her head backward and glared at him in anger. "We need to talk," she hissed.

Brian rested his head on her shoulder and strengthened his grip. "Kerri, I'm so sorry. I have to know you forgive me."

"It's not that simple, Brian. We can't just sweep this thing under the rug," Kerri argued, turning her head away.

"Sweep what under the rug? What are you talking about?"

In spite of Dennis's advice not to confront her husband about his drinking, Kerri concluded there was no alternative. "Booze! It's killing both you and our marriage!"

Brian's balance was disrupted. Kerri had never before mentioned his drinking. Denial was his first impulse. "Booze! What the hell has that got to do with it?"

"You're incredible!" she shouted. "How can you possibly stand there and suggest that your drinking has no bearing on what's happening to us?"

"Maybe I drink a bit," he conceded. "But I can't see how you can stand there and suggest it's changed anything."

"Brian, do you agree there's a problem in our marriage?" Kerri asked.

"Sure. It's pretty obvious we're not as happy as we used to be."

"But why? Can't you see it?"

"I see it very clearly. You've changed. You're different. You've become a condescending bitch from the day you got that goddamned job. I think you love it more than you ever loved me."

"I give up," Kerri declared, stunned by Brian's intransigence and confused by how to respond to it. She wriggled free of his arms and removed her coat. She hung it in the closet, then turned and headed in the direction of the kitchen.

Brian caught up with her and turned her with a violent jerk of her right arm. "You said we needed to talk," he said, anger in his bloodshot brown eyes belying the calmness of his voice. "So let's talk."

Tears drenched Kerri's eyes. Her body trembled in fear of being hit again. "I was wrong. I really don't think we have anything to talk about."

Brian clenched his teeth and strengthened his grip on Kerri's arm. "You can't handle the truth!" he shouted. "That's why you don't think we have anything to talk about! The truth is that you're married to your job. You can't wait to get out of here in the morning and stay there until they turn the lights off."

"We don't have anything to talk about until you're prepared to admit you have a serious drinking problem."

Brian's body stiffened. His wife's declaration had ignited an uncontrolled rage. Even worse, she had dared to interfere by disclosing the problem to Billy Ray Vincent. "That's absolute bull-shit!" he screamed, then struck the side of her face with the back of his left hand.

Kerri winced in pain, but glared defiantly into Brian's eyes.

"You're the only problem in this marriage!" he shouted. "I waited for you all day. All I could think of was apologizing to you. Now all you want to do is give me attitude! You're no different than that tea-totaling prick, Vincent!" He hurled Kerri to the floor with a violent jerk. "You never appreciated what I did for you, and you probably never will!" he yelled, then stepped over her body and marched to the kitchen.

Dazed and bleeding, Kerri remained face down and motionless on the floor. She heard the refrigerator door open and close, then the sound of a beer can opening. Seconds later, she heard Brian lift the telephone receiver, then order a taxi. She lifted her head to watch him climb the stairs.

Minutes later, he reappeared, fully dressed and carrying his sports-bag slung over his shoulder. On his way out the door, he stopped and half turned. "See you around," he snorted, then left, slamming the door.

Kerri stood and struggled up the stairs to the bathroom mirror. Blood oozed from the wound on her cheekbone where Brian's wedding ring had broken the skin. She cleaned the blood with a wash cloth soaked in warm water. While rinsing the cloth, she noticed Brian's toothbrush was missing. The terrifying specter of an end to her marriage hit her hard. Desperate and alone, she wept.

Hours later, Kerri dialed her mother's Vancouver number. "Please answer," she pleaded after listening to consecutive rings. She was relieved to hear the familiar voice of her mother.

"Hi, mom," Kerri said.

"Kerri!" Barbara shrieked. "I'm so glad you called. You must be psychic. I was just about to call you tonight. I have wonderful news...I'm going to be married again."

"Who's the lucky man?"

"His name is David Harmon. I met him at the Gas Light Restaurant a week after Christmas. I'm sure it wouldn't surprise you that I wasn't the slightest bit interested in him at first. But he persisted, and I finally agreed to have dinner with him. It was fantastic. It's absolutely amazing how much we have in common."

"Who is he?" Kerri asked, suppressing a strong desire to discuss her own problem.

"You'll love him. He's quite a bit older than me. He's a writer, born and raised in Vancouver. He has a beautiful house on Hornby Island and want's us to live there after we're married."

"When's the wedding?"

"The minute you can get here. I asked David to wait until you get here. Is there any way you can?"

Kerri made a quick decision. "I'll try to get a flight tomorrow. It might end up in Seattle. If it does, could you..."

"Don't even think about it. Just call as soon as you have a flight. We'll arrange to pick you up wherever you land. I don't care if it's Calgary."

"I'm happy for you, mom."

"Me too...What about you? Is everything okay?"

"Yes. I'll call as soon as I get a flight."

Kerri hung up and phoned Miles Dennis. "Miles, it's Kerri. I'm sorry to bother you, but I need to ask you if I can take a couple of days off."

"No problem. What's happening?"

"Same problem, only much worse...It really blew up tonight."

"Tell me about it."

"I know you told me not to confront Brian about his drinking, but I did it...He's gone. It might be forever."

"Did he hurt you?"

"Physically, I'm okay. Emotionally, I need help. I need to spend some time with my mother. She lives in Vancouver."

"Take all the time you need, and please tell me if there's anything else I can do. I'll miss you."

Two-fifteen, A.M.

Brian slumped in the back seat of a taxi and rested his head on Tina DeSouza's shoulder. "The whole world's hassling me, Tina," he slurred, his eyes glazed and his mind groggy. "You're the only person who doesn't hassle me." He rolled his eyes skyward. "You won't ever hassle me, will you?"

Tina kissed Brian's forehead. "Never," she promised.