CHAPTER 7

New York. Kennedy Airport.

Mike complied with the request of the cute Panam stewardess to fasten his seatbelt, then turned to Karen. "What did you think of Visconti?" he asked.

"I liked him. I think he'd do a good job, but something tells me you don't agree."

"I have reservations."

"That was obvious."

"I'm not sure what it was that bothered me. I just couldn't get comfortable with him. Maybe he was too smooth. Maybe it was just my paranoia."

"It must have been something he said or did that made you uncomfortable. Can you think of what it was?"

Mike tightened his lips and shook his head. "It's not that simple. I kept seeing a flashing red light, but I'm not sure why. It's been bugging me since we left the hotel...Okay, give me Karen's take on him."

"No reservations. He's smart, obviously very capable, and he has a very impressive track record."

"Wow! Did we have lunch with the same guy, or were you just blinded by his charm and good looks?"

Karen postponed her response to turn and stare out the window. She then directed an angry glare at Mike. "That's bullshit and you know it! Something's bothering you and I want to know what it is, right now," she demanded.

"I'm sorry. You didn't deserve that...I think Visconti's young and impulsive. He might do something stupid."

"Like what?"

"Like telling someone about us."

"He never has to know. All he knows is that the money was inherited, and that the trust is in place for the future. Why can't we just leave it at that?"

"That would be great but I don't know how much Alfred's told him. If he's told him more, we've got a problem. That's one of the reasons I didn't want to give him a commitment at lunch. Also, I wanted to talk to you first."

Karen's frown melted to a broad grin. "I love you, King. I can't begin to tell you how refreshing it is to hear that from my husband. The previous one never consulted with me on anything."

Mike reached into the right pocket of his jeans and removed a gold ring adorned with a cluster of seven diamonds, the two in the center dwarfing the others. "This is a little late, but it's from the heart, and it's forever," he declared, then lifted Karen's left hand and placed the ring beside her wedding band on her third finger.

Ritz Carlton. Paris, France.

Reminded of the first time he and Karen had showered together in Santo Domingo, Mike applied soap to every square inch of her body, then methodically removed it with the spray from the shower head and his hand. When Karen returned the favor, Mike once again found it impossible to wait until they got to bed. Shower sex was imperative.

Afterwards, Karen stared lovingly into his deep blue eyes. "There's a wild steak in me that tells me we should never go back," she said, still panting.

"Where's that coming from?" Mike asked, surprised by Karen's declaration.

"I don't know. I just want to disappear into obscurity, and stay there."

"Do you have any idea where obscurity is?"

"Buying a villa in Monte Carlo and living happily ever after. Phillip could finish his education in a private school in Switzerland."

Mike exhaled, then rested his chin on Karen's shoulder and closed his eyes. "I would be lying to you if I told you that kind of obscurity isn't appealing, but I don't think we would live happily ever after."

"Why?"

"We're still in the Feds' crosshairs. A ton of their money is still missing and you know they suspect we know where it is. If we did what you're suggesting, they'd be all over us like a tent."

"They can suspect all they want," Karen scoffed. "As long as we keep our mouths shut, what can they do?"

"Harass the hell out of us...They're missing over three hundred million dollars!"

"Screw the Feds, King! Will you at least think about living happily ever after?"

Mike frowned and shook his head. "This isn't you, Babe. It's so uncharacteristic of you to talk this way. What happened to that responsible girl I once knew?"

"You're such a great lover, you make me lose my head," Karen teased with an impish grin. "Now tell me why you still want to keep the money. I'm amazed. I still can't believe you would do such a thing. It isn't you."

"I'm amazed too," Mick conceded. "I guess I'm more larcenous than either of us ever imagined."

"That's my point. You've really confused me. It would be far easier to understand if you intended to keep the money for yourself, but by just hiding it in a trust you're taking all the risk while you don't stand to gain a thing."

"You would understand if you knew how pissed I am. The Feds really messed with my head. If I live forever I'll never forget when those bastards marched into my office like Nazis and ruined my life without an ounce of remorse. They didn't give a shit about us. They were covering their over-paid political asses. Then when they realized they couldn't touch your husband, they arrested us and put us in jail without any consideration for the damage it would do to our lives, and to the lives of people who depend on us."

"I understand that, but does the money mean anything to you?"

"Not really. I have no intention of ever spending it."

"Then why did you...?"

"It's a statement," Mike interrupted. "Keeping it helped to even the score. It gave me closure. Maybe we'll use it to some real good in this world, anonymously. It wouldn't be too difficult to find a charity that beats the hell out of paying bloated salaries to too many civil servants and politicians who waste too much money on too many useless programs...It's also a hell of an exciting caper."

          Karen placed her hands firmly against Mike's buttocks and pressed him against her body. "You're exciting, King," she said, grazing his lips with hers. "You're body gives me a far bigger rush than the caper."