CHAPTER 38

Visconti, as usual looking like a Wall Street fashion statement, smiled when he saw Kerri. He lusted immediately, staring at her tight black skirt and form fitting white blouse. Then he saw her cheek. "You have a fight with your husband?" he asked, hoping.

"No, just a stupid accident."

"How stupid?"

"I'm too embarrassed to say."

"Then don't. Would you like a coffee? I just ordered one for myself."

Strangely, Kerri felt comfortable. She tried to smile. "Sure. Black."

Visconti lifted his receiver, ordered the extra coffee, then pointed to two black leather couches near the windows. "Let's sit over there. Coffee will be here shortly." Every fiber of his body ached to sit as close as possible to her, but discretion convinced him to occupy the opposite couch. "You any happier than you were when I saw you at Christmas?" he asked, leaning back and crossing his legs.

"Why would you think I was unhappy then?"

"Intuition, and it tells me you're still unhappy." He focused on her eyes, probing for a reaction.

"Miles told me you you were once married."

Visconti nodded.

"Did you ever have an argument with your wife?"

Visconti displayed a microscopic smirk. "Is the Pope Catholic?"

"Then you understand."

"Yup. You want to talk about it?"

Kerri's face reddened as she shook her head.

"Let me know if you ever do. I'm the best listener you'll ever know."

The conversation continued until Kerri realized she had finished her coffee. The interval with Visconti was a pleasant diversion from the strain of her situation. Strangely, she had enjoyed his company and wished she could stay. She stood after glancing at her watch. "I really should go. Miles is going to wonder what happened to me. Thanks for the coffee and the hospitality."

Visconti displayed a disappointed frown. "The pleasure was mine. Sorry you have to go...Would you consider having lunch with me sometime soon? I'd love to continue the conversation."

"Sure." Kerri said, delighted he had asked.