TWENTY-SIX

-----------

-----------

"IT WAS AFTER A BATTLE. I was wounded and definitely on a verge of dying."

930 A.D, Scandinavia

Two soldiers were carrying Eric through the woods as fire burned around them, signaling that it was over and their battle had been lost.

Eric was wounded beyond repair as he could barely stand on his two feet. Though dying, his friends still kept on carrying him until Eric pushed them back and fell against a hill before rolling on his back. Eric could hear a crow nearby meaning it was his time to go to Valhalla. "Go on," he said in his native tongue.

His friends stared at him in deep worry as Eric felt blood in his mouth, a bad sign. "I'm finished. Go on."

"No," one told him seriously.

His other companion grabbed onto Eric's arm firmly. "Eric... you saved our lives a hundred times. We won't leave you to be eaten by wolves," he said seriously. Eric had no strength to look him in the eye.

"We'll wait for the end by your side," his friend said sadly. Eric felt thankful to them. "We'll give you a hero's farewell. The gods wait for you in Valhalla."

His friend's tone seemed pained yet proud as Eric listened to their talks. "There will be a party with meat and gold... and beer."

The two friends laughed as they thought about what was awaiting for Eric, their friend and a man they admired. "And women?" he asked his friend with a laugh. "Will there be women?"

"Wherever I am..." Eric then managed to say as his eyes lost focus. "...there will always be women."

The friends continued to laugh causing a small smirk to appear on Eric's face as they then continued on with helping Eric get back to a safer place.

When the night fell upon them, bringing new threats and ghosts, Eric was laying on an unlit fire pit with his friends around, watching whether he was still alive.

Eric was holding his sword because he knew he'd need it in Valhalla. He watched his friend get settled as one stood besides him. "All will be well," he said quietly. "Don't be afraid."

"I'm not afraid. I'm pissed off."

His friend laughed but then another soldier heard a loud sound causing him to immediately become alarmed. "Who's there?" he exclaimed before taking his sword out.