TWENTY-EIGHT

-----------

-----------

SOOKIE'S WORRIED FACE MADE AMY NERVOUS. They were still walking around and Amy knew that Steve bringing Gabe with them meant that they wouldn't come out soon. The Brennan girl just wished she had taken a gun with her.

Steve was still leading the group around as Amy kept glancing at Sarah Newlin whose steps were quick and she was uncharacteristically quiet. "Now I'd like to take you all to see a very special part of the church," Steve exclaimed as his back was turned to them so Amy couldn't see his real expression.

It was already dark outside so Amy knew if something bad was to happen to them, Bill would come immediately. If not with Eric too. "There's more?" Sookie questioned as she glanced at her best friend.

"Yes. My father's tomb," Steve told them in good mood as they approached a door that led to the basement. "It's on the lower level."

"Honey, are you sure?" Sarah questioned and Amy could see the high pitched tone as well as nervous eye movement.

"Hugo, we have to get out of here," Amy whispered as she squeezed his hand but Hugo only frowned and stopped by the door.

"Absolutely, darling," Steve exclaimed again as he stopped in front of a wooden door.

"Steve, I just don't see why we need to take 'em down there," Sarah told her husband as she met Amy's judging eyes.

Steve completely ignored his wife as he smiled at the three suspicious people. "You can feel the presence of his spirit."

Amy then shook her head, trying to muster up a smile. "It's okay, we don't need to see it."

Amy then glanced at Gabe to see him blocking the exit so she swallowed a lump in her throat and faced her fiancé. "Oh, I insist. Our church was built on, much like St. Peter's tomb in the Catholic Church, only without being polluted by evil," Steve began to explain as he unlocked the door and opened it. "Did you know that there was actually a vampire pope back in the Middle Ages?"

"Rufus," Amy mused as she finally remembered the name Sookie gave Hugo. Sookie stared at the stairs leading down as she felt just as much fear as Amy did.

"What's the matter?" Steve asked mysteriously as Sarah opened her mouth in sadness. Amy knew the woman wasn't as keen to do what Steve was about to do.

"It's no big deal," Hugo tried to play it off with a nod as he rubbed Amy's hand. "She's a little claustrophobic. We all are, actually."