The Dare

The week was fairly boring, besides hanging out with your friends in the morning and during lunch. F/n wouldn't stop talking about the plans for Saturday, the whole Ouija board thing, ranting about how she doesn't think it'll work but wants to see if it does, since a lot of people say it is real. You just shrug your shoulders and continue eating.

Saturday morning, you wake up to a text message from F/n, in a group chat with Jake and Lizzy. You slap your phone and grab it off your nightstand next to your bed and alarm clock and read it.

F/n: Hey guys! I'll pick you up around 7pm tonight to go to the cemetery! Bring a jacket it's going to be cold!

Well, aren't cemeteries usually cold? You sigh and start texting. 

Y/n: Why so late? 
F/n: Because I'm busy, plus it's after dinner.
Lizzy: I just told my parents I would be at Jake's house for the night. He'll drive the two of us there, so we'll meet at the entrance.
Y/n: Alright. F/n pick me up still, I don't have a license yet.
F/n: Okay! I gotta go now! Bye~!

You sit up and yawn while stretching. It seems like you're going to have a long night, maybe you should tell your parents you plan on sleeping over at F/n's place for the night, so they don't get suspicious of your late outing. You stand up and slip on a pair of slippers and leave your room still wearing your pajamas.

You get downstairs and smell breakfast. Walking into the kitchen you see your mom making pancakes. You look around and see your dad sipping on a cup of coffee and listening to the morning news. You always found news boring for the most part, mainly paying attention to the weather bits. 

Looking back at your mom you walk towards her to get a cup from the cupboard. She smiles at you happily.

"Good morning, Y/n, how did you sleep?" She asks. You yawn again.

"I don't remember falling asleep, but I think I slept well." You say. Your mom nods and gently smiles, putting a few freshly made pancakes on a plate and hands it to you.

"I'm glad you slept well, and woke up just in time for breakfast." She goes back to make some more.

You thank her for the breakfast and sit at the table and pour the sticky maple syrup on them just enough to your liking and you begin to eat.

As you eat you begin to get lost in your thoughts, wondering how the evening is going to turn out. At a grave yard of all places. It makes sense, since you think there aren't any abandoned places in your town, so the cemetery is the 'safest' place. You hope that nothing gets out of hand either, you don't want any broken headstones or something. 

"Y/n? Are you okay?" Your dad jars you out of your thoughts.

"Huh? Yeah, I'm fine." you reply, looking down at your plate, it's now clean of pancakes, you ate them while lost in thought.

"Okay..Well, do you have anything planned for today? Or the weekend?" He asked.

Besides talking to spirits, nothing else eventful. "I uh, planned to stay over at F/n's for the night, their picking me up later tonight, after dinner." You lied.

"Why so late?" Your mom chirped in.

"We're going to go to the theaters for a movie. A girls night out." You hope they let the topic go.

they both nod. "Sounds fun, I hope you have fun and stay safe."

You nod in response and stand up, heading to the sink to wash your plate. You clean it off and then head back to your room to wait for the time to come.

--Time skip because you didn't have much of an eventful day--

You wait in the living room with your backpack and your phone in hand. F/n should be here soon, unless her mom is talking their ear off again. Which you hope wasn't the case, because you honestly just want this night to be over.

A few minutes pass and you think that F/n forgot to pick you up, till your phone vibrates with a text from them. Their here, so you call out to your parents that your leaving and you'd be seeing them sometime tomorrow.

F/n waves at you as you open the car door and toss your bag in the back seat.

"You excited Y/n?" They reverse out of the driveway and you both are on the way to the cemetery.

"I guess." You managed a smile. You didn't want to tell them that you were a bit nervous, not wanting to seem like a coward.

"Great! It would be fun!" They beamed. 

The ride there was rather quiet, minus the fact that F/n seems to be radiating with excitement. You turn on the car radio, wanting something to fill the silence.

You zoned out and didn't realize that F/n parked in the lot. They tap your shoulder and get out. You shook your head and get out of the car as well. You both start walking towards the entrance and see Jake and Lizzy already waiting.  F/n waves at them and almost drops the box they were holding, luckily you caught it before anything happened.

"You guys ready?" Jake asked as we approached. You and F/n nod. "Then lets go!"  Jake guided Lizzy through the entrance, You and F/n following behind them. You didn't really notice the sky beginning to dim till you walked into the area, and it also seemed to get a bit colder.

You all find a spot in the center of the cemetery, where an angel statue stood, sadly looking at the sky. There was a patch of grass underneath the statue, big enough for the four of you and one more to sit comfortably. You all kneel/sit on the grass and F/n pulls out the Ouija board and the planchette in the middle of the board.

"So...Who is going to go first?" Lizzy asks, glaring daggers at the board and the pointer. you notice she had a pen and notebook in her hand.

"Don't we all have to touch it for it to work?" You ask, looking at the board cautiously then to Y/n, who has a smile on her face.

"I'm not touching that thing!" Lizzy announced. Jake hushed her, not wanting to draw unwanted attention. 

"Then how about Y/n does? She always liked these sort of things!" F/n responded. Lizzy nods.

You shook your head. "It's different if you do it physically! I just have an interest in them, I didn't plan on actually using one." You look at Jake who just shrugs. "Besides it's F/n's board, she should do it!"

F/n shook her head and made a tsk sound. "But that would be boring! Y/n, I DARE you to do it! You have to!"

"A dare is a dare Y/n, you don't want to be called chicken by F/n would you?" Jake responded. Why did this have to happen like this? 

"Do it then!" Lizzy said, a bit impatiently.

You sigh, and look at the board once more. You have an uneasy feeling in your stomach but you don't want to walk away from this...challenge that F/n put on you. You hesitantly put your fingers on the pointer and sigh, looking at everyone else. They look at the board and your fingers. "Is....Anyone here with us?"

-----------------------------