fifty

N I A L L

"I'm so excited Lilli," I beam as I pull into the hospital carpark and I see a smile tug on Lilli's lips.

Today is our first ultrasound scan and we will be able to see our baby on the screen which is very exciting.

It's 10:30am though so Lilli is feeling rough, a newly familiar sensation that I wish I could somehow ease.

Luckily Zayn and Liam agreed to stage a publicity stunt in order to attract the paparazzi and give Lilli and I some privacy as we are still not telling anyone about the baby.

I don't want anything to change or for her to be exploited.

"Come on baby," I mumble as I help her out of the car and hold her hand gently as we walk into the hospital reception.

I can see people in the waiting room looking at us and I notice that Lilli's shoulders tense.

The maternity waiting room is filled with mostly middle aged couples who are wearing cardigans, loafers and probably work 9 to 5 jobs.

It's safe to say that Lilli and I stand out as the odd couple with her vibrant red hair and my skinny jeans.

We don't look like the most traditional parents and I can feel all eyes on us as we walk towards the front desk.

"Spot the hippies," Lilli mumbles in reference to us and I immediately begin to laugh, grabbing my mouth to muffle the sound.

"Relax, it's all going to be okay," I assure and Lilli gives me a weak smile as she begins to fill in some hospital forms.

"That's perfect. You can both take a seat and Dr Quinn will be with you very shortly," the receptionist explains with a bright smile as she motions to the waiting area.

As we sit I lay my hand gently on Lilli's thigh in order to calm her down and she grabs my hand in response, laying her head on my shoulder as we wait.

"I hate hospitals. The smell makes me anxious," Lilli whispers, only loud enough for me to hear and my features soften.

"There's nothing to be anxious about! We will get to see our baby today," I explain with a smile and I see Lilli smile too as I mention the baby.

"I'm just scared," Lilli replies and I begin to stroke her head fondly as she rests against me.

"Everything will be alright," I reassure her and she squeezes my hand in response, a smile tugging at her red lips.

"Horan," a woman calls and I immediately jump up with excitement, gaining a laugh from Lilli who clings to my hand and allows me to lead her down the hallway.

"Hello! I'm Dr Quinn, I'll be your doctor throughout your pregnancy," an older woman explains with a bright smile, out-stretching her hand to Lilli's and I immediately see Lilli relax as she shakes the woman's hand.

"Um, hi. I'm Lillianna," Lilli explains nervously, biting her lip as I stand behind her in the doorway and gently rub her arms to comfort her.

"Lovely to meet you Lillianna. And who's this handsome fella?" The woman asks with a smile and I notice a slight laugh escape from Lilli's lips.

"This is, this is my Niall. My husband Niall," Lilli introduces, fumbling slightly over her words and I smile at how cute she is as she introduces me as 'her Niall'.