sixty one

N I A L L

"It's so unfair how you can even make a hospital gown look chic," Elio laughs, playfully pouting as he tidies Lilli's hospital room and I help her change into some normal clothes.

Today the doctors are allowing her to go home and I could not be more relieved.

She's been in the hospital for a week and so have I as I refused to go home without her and therefore had no choice but to sleep on the hard, uncomfortable chair beside the bed.

I can't complain though because at least I'm leaving with her and our little baby.

I couldn't be more grateful or relieved.

"Maybe I'll wear this to the Met Gala next year! It is backless after all," Lilli jokes with a loud laugh as she stands on the hospital bed, clinging to my shoulders to hold her up.

I smile as I watch her and Elio laugh, her eyes twinkling and her dimples on full display as she repeatedly throws her head back with laughter.

I'm so happy to see her like this.

I missed her smile so much.

"Category is: hospital gown realness," Elio jokes as Lilli strikes a pose on the bed, making Elio and I laugh hysterically as Lilli just smirks.

"You two are idiots," I laugh as I gently lift Lilli off of the hospital bed and help her change into a pair of sweat bottoms and an oversized black jumper.

"I can't wait to go home and get into my own bed and eat my own snacks," Lilli smiles, wrapping her arms around my neck before planting a gentle kiss on my lips.

I place her small, white trainers on her feet but as I stand up to get something she pouts and holds her foot out to me, indicating for me to tie her shoe laces.

I laugh and shake my head at her as her pout grows into a smirk and I see Elio rolling his eyes from the corner of my eye.

"You are so extra Lilli," Elio laughs and she immediately drops her jaw in mock offence but I can see that she is trying hard not to smile.

"Says you," Lilli sasses, gaining a laugh from Elio as I finish tying her shoelaces and help her off of the bed, my arm wrapped around her waist as I allow her to slightly lean on me to ease her pain.

"You are ready to leave then?" Doctor Morris asks, suddenly appearing in the doorway and I nod before grabbing Lilli's hospital bag with my spare hand.

"Okay, Lillianna do you need a wheelchair?" the doctor asks with a smile but Lilli shakes her head and politely refuses.

"If you have one of those child motor cars though I'll gladly ride that," Lilli jokes and we all burst out laughing at the thought of her driving down the corridors in one of those tiny cars.

That would be a very Lillianna thing to do.

I hold her hand as we walk slowly through the hospital, allowing Lilli to walk at her own pace as she continues to lean against my side.

As the elevator doors open and we walk closer to the hospital reception I see camera flashes from outside the windows and my heart drops.