002

Chapter 2

(four years later)

"So if you're ever being pulled up, always remember," Ma repeats her eyes filled with worry on me. "Hands on the dashboard, don't speak until you're spoken to, try to be as calm as possible—"

"Oh come on Liz, he's going to be fine." Dad speaks in, walking into the living room with his newspaper and his dark hair poking out everywhere like a bird nest. "You're just scaring him."

Ma turns to him with a glare, "really Dave?"

"Or—" I dare chip in. "I could just drive with Nessa."

Dad is about to say something after Ma nods at my idea but Nessa speaks over him, walking out the kitchen with a mug. "No, please Is, I'm not going anywhere today."

"Vanessa, you won't speak over your dad." Ma snaps and I see Nessa pout.

"Yes mum," she nods at dad. "Sorry."

We all turn to dad to hear what he wanted to say and he sighs. "Well, I was going to say driving with Nessa isn't a good idea." Nessa pumps her fist, I pout and Ma frowns. "You have your license now Israel, if you keep postponing, you'd never get to drive."

"Yes," Nessa speaks before Ma could again. "And I can't keep driving you to school every morning, I start work soon."

Ma throws a cushion pillow at her in form of a last warning before her worried eyes return to me. I can tell she just wants to suggest driving me but we go opposite ways and dad is right, if I am ever going to get a hang of this, I have to start now.

"It's fine," I pick up the car keys from the coffee table, "I'll be fine, it's just school."

"You'd be careful?" Ma asks and I nod. It isn't my first time driving. I've passed all the driving lessons and I've driven Ma to the store a lot of times. But this is my first official driving alone and without anyone grading me.

To be honest, I am a bit scared of driving all by myself. Before I learnt, the thought always excited me until I actually got to the road and had a feel of it. The stories about the police and people of colour weren't helping either and I am so afraid of getting into trouble. Ma has never experienced it like the movies show it but she has heard enough stories to live it and dad knew nothing as Ma would say; he is white after all.

"I would," I say picking up my school bag and saying bye to them all before leaving. We've already said our prayers so I was good to go.

The ride to school really turn out okay. I am slower than the speed limit and at road bumps my hand shook a little and I am a bit slower in driving out of traffic but overall it was nice. I slowly find a parking spot and carefully park my car, giving God thanks for the safe ride.

The air conditioner isn't working so I end up a bit sweaty. It was Nessa's car before it became mine after she graduated from high school last year. The car is old and slightly in bad shape but it could drive well and it isn't that bad. Very manageable, better than walking or taking the bus or bicycle. I am too lazy for a bicycle ride every morning.

I pick at my curly hair before getting out of the car, locking the door and crosschecking it before walking towards the school double entrance doors. I didn't greet anybody and nobody greeted me. I didn't know much people and I only ever interacted with two people here. My sister — who just graduated, Jamal — the closest person I had to best friend and Darcy Pickett from church. Darcy is my friend because of our parents and the fact that we attend the same church. Our parents hold religious meetings and Vigils at each other's house and I think ma low-key wants me to date her. That is of course if I must date.