038

Chapter 38

"I can't believe exams are here," Nessa says coming into the kitchen and meeting me by the counter surrounded by textbooks. "First term went really fast."

"Yeah yeah," I answer distractedly, trying to understand something. I am trying to do mine and Jamal's assignment in English knowing he's studiously doing mine and his in physics and I know if I stop for a second I'm going to go distracted and start staring at my phone again.

I sent a text to Sky and he hasn't replied. He hasn't replied!

"Oof someone's being serious," she laughs and I roll my eyes just before I hear cupboards open and shut. "I'm making noodles, want in?"

"Sure."

"If you want to read so bad, why aren't you in your room?"

With a groan, I finally look up at her, glaring while she averts her eyes and pretends she's not trying to distract me. "I got tired of staying in my room. Why are you bugging me?"

Nessa spins around quickly, slapping her hands on the counter. "Because I never see you anymore Is and school's first term is about to end and I want to talk and get in on all the juicy gossip."

"No juicy gossip," I sigh, shutting the book in front of me. "None at all."

"Oh come on," she tears open a pack of noodles, facing the boiling pot water on the stove. "How are things with Sky? And Darcy— she's been scarce around here. And how's the pressure of exams and you've been looking out of it lately, what's up with you? Just get me in on all the latest highschool stuff, I think I miss it."

"Why?" I get off the stool to help her chop up vegetables. "Has Josh dumped you or have you dumped Josh?"

Nessa laughs, "none of that has or will ever happen!" She smacks me and I can't help but chuckle. "You little runt can you not bring that out into the universe, please, I'd die!"

"You'd die?"

"Yes, I'd die," she yells and I have to cover my ears. "Josh and I are forever, if I have to go get some voodoo for that, I totally would."

"Goodness gracious Ness, that's crazy stuff."

She laughs and wiggles her hair with a jump. "It's crazy and I love him."

Love...

I pour the chopped peppers and onions and tomatoes into the boiling pot of noodles, "h-how do you know?"

"What?"

I shut the pot with a sigh and turn to her, my hands relaxed behind me. "How so you know you love him?"

Nessa exhales heavily, pulling herself up on the counter and swinging her legs. She does a one shoulder shrug, pressing a reddening cheek down. "I don't know, I just know. I um- sometimes I have to remind myself to breath around him. I can't imagine him not being around me you know. It's just there," she places a hand on her chest and shuts her eyes. "Warm, alive, strong."

Nessa inhales deeply and we end up exhaling together. Then she opens her eyes, catches mine and giggles. "Don't mind me," she waves a hand in front of her. "Why are you asking about love?"

I shrug and turn around back to the pot to hide my warm cheeks. "Just like that."

"No no spill," she jumps down the counter. "Is it Sky? Are you guys a couple now?"

I turn off the stove and shake my head. "We're not a couple."

"Why not?" She peeks into the steaming pot. "Are we sharing separately or eating it straight out the pot?"