040

A/N: I changed the barista Wren's name to Nile.

Chapter 40

"Differentiation of 2sinx?" Jamal asks, book in front of his face as he chews on a chip.

"Uh," I pick on my hair. "cosx?"

He lowers the book from his face, "what about the 2?"

"Doesn't it disappear?" I raise a brow, reaching for my book on the table.

"No, it doesn't." Jamal frowns at me. "Here, 2 is a constant with sinx so it doesn't change. The answer is 2cosx."

"Oh."

"Oh man, Issy!"

"I'm sorry." I desperately flip through my book trying to find the rules of this once more.

"We have calculus today bruv, in two hours time."

I run my hand over my face, "why am I even in this class?"

Jamal shakes his head at me and pushes the bowl of chips my way. "Eat, eat, fill up your brain."

"I'm just distracted."

"Yeah, big time and sleep deprived."

I have actually been sleeping, with the full aid of drugs that is. "I'm okay."

"Stop thinking about Sky so much."

"How can I not?" I close the book and drop my head on it. "He's leaving." He's leaving me.

"You guys would meet again."

I shake my head, my eyes already tingling. "He said not to wait."

"Then you'd meet someone else."

I shake my head, "I won't."

"You don't know that."

"Mal, just stop."

"Fine but Sky wouldn't want you to fail first term exams. Wake up and..." He trails off and I peek an eye open at him only to see him looking at something behind me with his brow raised and mouth open.

I get up and turn around only for my eyes to meet with that of Darcy Pickett. My breath gets caught in my throat and I narrow my eyes at her. She has her hair up in a pony tail, a few strands falling over her face. Her blue eyes flicks from Jamal's to mine and I wonder what she wants now. Is this the moment I'm ratted out?

"Hey guys." She greets, waving a hand at us and biting her lips.

Jamal relaxs back on his seat and crosses his hands. "Hey Darcy Pickett."

It's barely noticeable but I see Darcy flinch at the formality and use of her full name. She sighs and reaches into her bag, producing two canned drinks. She drops them both in front of me and I blink looking at them. "What's this?"

She shakes her head as if getting rid of all the thoughts holding her back and becoming herself again as she takes a sit without asking either of us. "I'm sorry."

I cross my hand too, playing her game. "For what?"

"Everything," she reaches forward and pulls my arms away from themselves. "I'm so sorry, Israel."

I cannot deny that I slightly resent Darcy now. And a part of me blames her for my break up with Sky. Everything was fine until she walked right into it and I don't think I can forgive her yet. But I can't also deny that I've kind of missed her bossy presence and I don't have the guts to push her away for something she's now sorry for. It's not her fault really and she didn't know any better. As least she cares and is here again.