035

Chapter 35

"Guess what?" Darcy asks, panting as she slaps her hands on the table, making Mal and I jerk up in attention.

I look behind from where she came to check if some is chasing after her. There's no one and everything looks calm and normal with students walking around or eating their lunch and chatting.

"Um," Mal bites into his sandwich, "you won a lottery?"

"No, not yet," she turns her questioning eyes to me.

"You are going on a diet?" I guess seeing as she had no tray of food with her.

"No," she looks offended and I purse my lips in regret as Mal laughs. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing," I raise both palms up. "I was just guessing."

"You think I should go on a diet? I'm not in anyway fat."

"I didn't say you're fat."

"You implied it-" Jamal says and I whack his head down with a glare.

"And I'd have you know that fat is actually a necessity for the body and going on diet hardly solves any problem on it's own," she raises a finger. "Not that being fat is a problem, only when it becomes hazardous to the health. But the notion that being fat makes one-"

Darcy doesn't finish her sentence as Mal sticks a baked green bean inside her mouth. He grins at her, "Issy's got it now."

"Yeah," I nod in agreement, grateful that he intercepted that surmon.

Darcy hisses at him before returning her attention to me. "Anyway, I'm just coming from student council meeting and..." She trails off for dramatic effect. "We're having a winter formal!"

"Winter formal?" Jamal and I exchange a look. "What's that?"

"Oh my goodness Jamal," Darcy face palms. "How dumb are you?"

Jamal glares, "I'm not dumb. Are you explaining or not?"

"It's a dance, goat. A dance that we're finally going to have."

I frown, "why?"

"Because," she stares at me eye wide like she can't believe I even asked that. "It's going to be like junior prom, so exciting. And we get to decorate and plan everything and dress up and dance."

"L.O.L," Jamal deadpans, "isn't prom enough for you guys?"

"Can you guys not be some kind of Debby Downer, I'm really excited about this," she pouts.

I smile, even though it's not entirely real. "That's great to hear Darce, I'm happy for us all."

"Yay," Darcy grabs both our hands in excitement before she releases them and brings out two papers from her bag. "We're getting people to sign up and help out in preparations. All you have to do is write your name here and sign."

"Woah woah," Jamal cuts in, eying the paper. "Who ever said we're sighing in?"

"Who ever said you're not?" Darcy asks, leaning in for the upcoming confrontation.

"I'm saying so now," Mal says not backing away at all. "We're not doing that shit and isn't it the student whatever that are supposed to be in charge?"

"Yes but other students can help out to," she turns to me. "It'll be nice Israel. A great way to spend our time together and plan this one dance that could very well be our last chance of fun before delving into future determining serious matters next year."