010

Chapter 10

After the confession in church, Darcy and I complete the little walk to the grocery store. Her mum asked her to get some little things and I completely forgot to ask Ma if she needed anything from the store. I forgot we were coming here after.

I'm forgetting a lot of things lately.

"Apples or Banana?" Darcy asks, holding both fruits in hand as if she was weighing them. Her scarf was now around her neck with her dirty blond hair flying freely.

"Um," I thought about it hard. I'm not someone who had favorite fruit or something. But I guess if forced to choose, "Apples seem like fruit to each for a particular mood or state of mind. Bananas however, all time favorite?" I don't know what I'm saying.

Darcy nods, "so banana then?"

I open my mouth to speak but someone beats me to it. "Of course," I hear his voice and my heart sparks like a cut electric circuit. Sky comes into view, his grey eyes blinking at me. "Who chooses Apples over Banana?"

Darcy and I stay speechless just looking at him and he smirks, peeling off a banana and taking a bite out of it. It's then, my senses snap back.

"Sky," I breathe out.

He winks at me, "welcome back, handsome."

My body reacts strangely to that one word; handsome. And I'm at loss for words. Darcy turns to me in askance and I bite my lip uncomfortable.

"What are you doing here?" I stupidly ask and face palm right after.

"Well I guess I'm shopping like every other person but," he shrugs a mischievous look in his eyes. "Depends on how you see it, right."

"Sorry, that was stupid to ask." I apogized and he smiled. I remember Darcy is still here and I launch into introduction, "this is my friend Darcy. Darcy, meet Sky."

"Darcy," Sky extends a hand for a shake. "Pleasure to meet you."

Darcy barely takes his hand before she pulls back again. "Same," she couldn't quite look at him and I knew something was off. "We have to go Israel."

I don't even move before Sky's arm goes over shoulder, holding me in place. Darcy's eyes go to him and she looks kinda terrified. Sky smiles charmingly at her, "Darcy, do you mind me borrowing Israel for a minute or two. I'd love to talk to him, it's been a while."

"We talked yesterday," I point out, strangely comfortable under his hold.

"That's not nearly enough, Israel." Sky clears, returning his eyes to Darcy.

Her eyes move between Sky and I and she looks at me as if wanting me to say something to rescue her from the spotlight but I didn't know what to say and I wanted to hear what Sky would say to me, whatever it was. I'm probably a douche for ditching her here but then Sky... I would love to talk even though I just keep embarrassing myself. Finally Darcy shrugs.

"Sure, Israel I'd meet you back at the register." I nod and she gives a look before walking away pushing the shopping cart that I was originally pushing by herself.

"Was that a date?" Sky asks as soon as Darcy turns a corner and I move out of his hold in surprise.

"A date? Darcy?" I shake my head, "no. We went to church and I decided to help her get some things." Why I was explaining myself, I had no clue.

He nods, hands in his pockets looking at his shoes. Then he looks up with a smile, a completely different look than a second ago. "Fancy meeting you here, didn't know you are domestic."