29 - Friend or Foe

Y/N watched Bruno's fist curl into a fist, slowly raising it up.

The mere memory of the nightmare strikes her in the guts, instinctively using her arms as a defence.

Bruno hesitated after seeing her curled up like a frightened cat, trembling yet ready for any assault while on the floor.

"Why'd you do it?", he muttered.

Surprised as to why he stopped, Y/N peeked an eye out.

He dropped his hand in defeat, crouching down to her level, which only caused her to cover herself again.

"You know that I trust you"

"I thought I could trust you", The words from the nightmare replaced his dialogue.

Her breathing became irregular.

Bruno steadily placed his hand on her shoulder, Y/N stiffening from his grasp.

This would become harder if he went on, so he drew back his hand.

"I just... don't know why you did it", He sighed.

Although he felt utter betrayal, Bruno knew she wouldn't do this without reason.

He thought that there must be something causing her to do such a thing. There was no way that the sweet Y/N he learned to care would just turn her back against them.

Bruno heard quiet sobs from the girl. She was quivering.

Bruno felt pity, just by raising his fist she gave up. He wondered what nightmare she dreamt of.

"I can't tell you", she manages to mutter under her sobs.

What is it that makes her not want to tell?

"Why can't you tell me?", Bruno let his voice soften, as if like a lullaby in her ears.

She didn't hear any difference.

"I can't tell you just yet", Y/N murmured, ignoring his question.

Her face reddened, sensitive to anything that touches her.

Bruno felt guilt-tripped. He has completely forgotten about the girl that happily talked to Proscuitto and Pesci about the boss and focused on the girl that couldn't even look at him in the eyes.

Well, that was what Bruno thought of how Y/N would react.

All of that was just his own imagination.

Instead, he was face to face with the girl herself.

She stood her ground, eyes locked in his with pure dignity.

Dried tears glistened on her cheeks, perhaps from earlier when she was experiencing the nightmare.

"Why'd you do it?", Bruno asked.

She gave a weary look of guilt, her hands clenched tightly.

"I can't tell you", her eyes averted away.

Bruno dropped down his fist. "Why'd you betray us?", he asked with more force.

"I can't tell you", She repeated.

"Answer me!", The male raised his voice.

"I can't tell you! Dammit!"

Her teeth were gritted, eyebrows furrowed, fists clenched.

This was an entirely different Y/N.

Different from the shy and stuttering one he saved, and different from the happy-go-lucky traitor.

Riptide ~ Vento Aureoजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें