9: Bittersweet sixteen

I woke up and Jim and I walked downstairs.
"Oh! You're both awake!" Mom stated, smiling as she set two plates at the table.
"To start your big day... Mom's special brithday pancakes!" She exclaimed as we sat down.
She had such a sweet smile as she sat down too.
"He look's like he's screaming." Jim stated, making me smile.
"He's excited." Mom stated.
She then sighed.
"I know. I know. You have always hated your birthday. But you're both sixteen! This is a big one. We should do something tonight." Mom stated, getting excited.
"Oh, mom. You know we don't want to---"
"This isn't up for discussion. No one should be alone on their birthday." She stated, interrupting Jim.
"That's why there's two of us, mom." I stated.
"When you've both had your fill, I have a surprise in the garage for you both." Mom stated, making Jim and I exchange looks.
I then heard Jim's walkie-talkie.
"Toby's calling you on the talkie." I stated, poking at the pancake.
He raised a brow before rushing up the stairs.
He then came back down the stairs and Mom peeked out from the garage as we walked towards her.
Jim grabbed a magazine from his bag, making me roll my eyes.
We walked closer.
"I know you've wanted this for a while, Jim. And now that you're the big one-six. Maybe it's time." She stated.
We then heard something running, making me furrow my brows as Jim was now filled with excitement.
"I think you'll get a lot of Milleage out of it." She added.
"And Skylar, I think you'll have fun with your gift too!" She stated.
Jim then burst through the door.
"Did you seriously get me a---" He cut himself off when mom turned around with a blender in her hands.
"The food magic three-thousand!" She excalimed with a big smile.
She then went on about it before grabbing me something from behind her.
"And Skylar, I have no idea what happened to your old one, but... I got you this." She stated, handing me a skate board.
"Yes, thanks mom!" I exclaimed, checking it out.
She then spotted the magazine Jim was olding.
"Oh, no. You were expecting a..." She trailed off.
"With the garage and the mileage." She said, feeling guilty.
Jim put the magazine down.
"It's fine. I also wanted one of these." Jim stated.
"We'll get a vespa someday, Jim. Just... you know I hate the idea of you on one of those things. It's bad enough I got a skate board for Skylar." She stated as I jumped up, flipping the board before landing again.
"The food magic is perfect mom." Jim assured, smiling.
"I can't wait to cook you something with it." He added.
Toby then started running towards us.
"Jim! You gotta come quick! There's an emergency in... the place." Toby stated, catching my attention.
"With the thing. Not even an emergency actuall. It's--" Toby stated, noticing mom.
"Hey, is that a food magic?" He asked, redirecting the conversation.
"Three-thousand. I'll leave you three to it." Mom stated, walking back inside.
"But, you two, tonight... Celebration!" Mom stated, smiling.
"Looking forward." Jim stated after a moment.
Mom then closed the door and I got on my board as Jim put his food magic three-thousand on the boxes.
"Seriously, we've got a Defcon One situation in Trollmarket." Toby stated once the door was closed.
"How do you know?" Jim and I asked.
"I just do! Come on!" Toby exclaimed.
We then rushed out as I used my board.
The boys got on their bikes and I followed after them, my red-black hair flowing behind me as I moved down the streets.

When we entered trollmarket, everyone was running and axes were swinging everywhere.
Yelling was heard from every direction as Jim was in his armor and I had my wings out.
"It's too late Master Jim, Lady Skylar." Blinky stated, running towards us.
"Arrgh had lost his mind! Save yourself!" Blinky shouted.
"I thought Arrrgh was at your house!" Jim and I stated, turning to Toby.
We then heard Arrrgh roar, charging towards us as Toby and Blinky ran off.
I moved infront of Jim when Arrrgh jumped in the air and we moved back, stopping when Jim's back was to a blade swinging.
He then grabbed Jim from behind me and roared in his face.
As I was about to attack, the floor behind Arrrgh rose from behind him, showing balloons as carnival music started playing.
"Surprise!" Everyone shouted as Jim was put back down.
I was stunned to say the least.
"Happy birthday Master Jim, Lady Skylar." Blinky stated.
"What?" Jim asked he then screamed as Arrrgh placed him on his shoulder before doing the same with me on the opposite shoulder.
"Good actor." Arrrgh stated.
"Tobias told us of your human surprise birthday customs. Are you not surprised?" Blinky had asked.
"That would be one word for it." Jim stated.
"I am pleasantly surprised." I replied, looking around.
"I was convincing." Arrrgh stated, causing me to nod as he put us both back down.
"Sixteen years! A propitious milestone." Blinky stated.
"Sixteen years is when young trolls master command of their bowels." He added.
"The heroes forge!" A familair voice exclaimed.
We all turned to see Vendel.
"Sacred proving grounds for Trollhunters past, present, and future, reduced to mockery." He stated, popping the balloon Toby had handed to Jim once he was finished.
"It's not mockery, Vendel. Blinky and Arrrgh just wanted to do something of human custom for us today. If it bothers you so, we'll clean it up." I stated, glaring slightly.
"You will remove them post-haste." He ordered.
"I don't want anything to delay their training." He added as he started walking away.
Toby and Arrrgh started popping the balloons as Jim talked to Blinky.
After a few moments we had begun training once again.
Jim was having trouble catching Arrrgh as I sat on one of the swinging blades, deep in thought.