58: Dragon's Den

"You're safe now."
"You don't have to worry anymore."
"Where am I?" I heard myself ask, opening my eyes.
There was only brightness, everywhere.
I shielded my eyes, letting them adjust.
"Somewhere safe." A voice replied.
"Am I dead?" I asked.
"Not yet." Another voice stated.
"You have taken much damage..." A third one added.
"Let me go back." I ordered, standing up as I looked around.
"We can't take you back." The first voice stated before adding, "You must find you way, yourself."
"It will be a struggle, are you sure you want to fight?" The second one asked.
"If you stay here... You don't have to fight anymore." The third one stated.
I clenched my fists, opening my wings widely.
"I still have to save my brother and Draal." I stated.
"If you stay here, you can spend forever with Draal." A new voice stated.
"You will find what you really are here." The first one said.
"I'm not giving up on life just yet." I stated, summoning my strength.
"The girl doesn't realize what she's up against."
"She's not strong enough."
Their voices grew louder, drowning out my senses.
I grit my teeth, picturing Jim, Mom, Draal, everyone.
The words I used to activate the amulet came to mind.
"For the power of Night, Moonlight is mine to command." I whispered, feeling a surge of energy.
The room thrummed, throwing off the voices.
They started off quiet before growing louder once again.
"For the power of Night, Moonlight is mine to command." I stated, my voice growing a bit louder.
A stronger surge of energy coursed through me, making the room thrum.
The voices started yelling.
I was feeling weaker, the voices growing stonger.
I refused to give up.
"For the power of Night, Moonlight is mine to command!" I yelled, louder than the voices, opening my eyes as they swirled with colors, my wings glowing brighter than the room.
The room thrummed, beating like a drum.
The voices turned into screams and the brightness of the room disappeared, shattering around me.

I opened my eyes, taking in a deep breath of air.
I sat up, coughing as everyone sat back.
I looked over, frowning when I saw a pile of dust.
I groaned as I moved to stand.
"Whoa, whoa. Take it easy. We almost lost you too." Douxie stated softly as he caught my fall.
"Too?" I asked, looking around.
Merlin was nowhere to be seen.
My eyes widened in disbelief.
"He's..." I trailed off, finding my footing.
"You almost died, Skylar." Claire stated, making me turn to her.
"Almost is a life of never." I stated, letting her know to put it behind us before turning to Douxie.
"I'm sorry for your loss..." I said, my eyes saddening as it wasn't just his loss.
He sighed holding the staff close.
He turned around, letting go off me as he saw everything was destroyed.
"It's all gone. Everything. The Heart of Avalon, Camelot... Merlin." He said barely above a whisper.
He then picked up a piece of the Heart of Avalon.
"Maybe we should say a few words?" Claire asked as she hugged the book to her chest.
"Yeah, okay. Ahem." Steve started, thinking.
"Battleship. November. Fruit Punch." He then started sobbing.
"Purple!" He sobbed.
"Oh, what can I say about Merlin?" Douxie asked, turning to us.
"He was... he was, uh... He was everything." Douxie decided as Claire sniffled.
"He was all that we had." He stated, kneeling next to Archie.
He then sat down with a grunt as we walked up to him.
"We'll get through this, together. We need you, Doux, now more than ever. The world, our friends are in danger." She stated, handing him the book.
"And the Order's about to kick off the arcane apocalypse." Archie added.
"Merlin didn't tell me anything. And of course, he gave us a book that I can't even read." Douxie stated, turning it to show us.
"I mean, what even is that supposed to be? Orcish? Elvish? Naga snake tribe?" He asked.
"Ancient Draconic." I corrected.
Archie looked at me in disbelief.
"How do you know?" He asked.
I frowned.
How did I know that.
"I don't know..." I said trailing off as a headache started forming.
"Draconic?" Steve asked before gasping.
"Dracula!" He exclaimed before panicing.
"No... as in dragons." Claire stated, turning to him.
"As in..." Douxie stated.
"Charlemagne, the Devourer." Archie stated, turning into his dragon form.
"Charlemagne, the devourer. Keeper of the most sacred stones and treasures. A vicious dragon." Douxie stated.
"Whi-which is why we shouldn't trouble him." Archie stated.
"Maybe someone else could translate it." He suggested.
"Skylar can you read it?" Archie asked, Douxie holding the book for me to see the page.
"I can make out a few letters... but thats it." I said, frowning.
"Come one, Arch! This is clearly about the Genesis Seals. And if the order finds them first--"
"Yes, yes, yes, we're all doomed." He stated, interrupting him as he transformed back into a cat.
"I suppose we'll have to pay Charlemagne a visit." Archie stated.
Douxie then lowered the ship from the sky.
"What about Jim? I need to find him." Claire asked.
"Go back to Hex Tech. Research any dark magic that can help him." Douxie stated.
"Okay, we'll leave Skylar with you and Archie in case she needs you to help her. Let's go, Steve." Claire stated
"Aw-! But the dragon quest!" Steve complained.
"What're you going to do? Get eaten again?" Claire asked.
She opened a portal under him, making me laugh a bit.
She then opened a portal for herself, looking to us before hopping through.
Douxie climbed in as I opened my wings.
As Douxie and Archie were distracted, I grabbed the amulet from my bag and tossed it to the side, it disappearing through a small time rift that appeared.
"Well, let's hope we get some answers... before the order does." Douxie stated, making me nod.
We then took to the air.