Nathan Meets the New World pt1

"How long are we avoiding this," Maya asks annoyed.

Once again Nathan has been convinced to hang out with the two of them. Only it seems Maya has reached her limit of not talking about whatever happened.

For that Nathan was thankful. He'd reach his limit of not knowing months ago.

"I'm not avoiding anything."

"Riles you and I both know that the only reason we spent so much time together this summer was because there's something you don't want to talk about with Maya."

"That is so not true. We're spending time together because you're my big brother and I love you."

Nathan scoffs, "See if this were happening like five years ago I'd believe you. But you and I both know that the level of closeness we used to have died."

"Well, that's just not true," Riley denies.

"Riley, before this summer I could count the number of times I've sat in this bay window since you and Maya reached double digits on one hand."

"Don't blame us for-"

Nathan cuts Maya off, "I'm not blaming you guys. I fucked up. I know that. But that doesn't change the fact that's it's been five years since I've spent this much time in the bay window and the only reason for that is because you're avoiding talking about something with Maya."

Riley sighs, "Life moved on, Maya. Why can't you."

"Until we talk about you know what, nothing is ever happening again," Maya says angrily.

"That's the talk of a kook."

The three of them sit in an awkward silence until Maya sighs.

"Ladies," Farkle's voice comes from the left of Riley. "Oh, Nate you're here too. Which can only mean that they haven't talked about it. Wait there is no it. Because that would imply that there's a secret, but I don't know anything about secrets because as we all know...I'm horrible at keeping them."

"Are you here for a reason, Farkle," Maya questions rolling her eyes.

"I've got two tickets to a concert, but there's three of us. So who do I take?"

"You see that right there is a very original situation. There will be many twists and turns that no one will see coming."

"I like the way you hugged me, Riley. I'm taking you."

"I did not see that coming," Riley days shocked.

"I'm beginning to think that whatever the two of you need to talk about isn't even that big of a deal," Nathan says annoyed.

"That's because it isn't," Riley tells him.

"How can you sit there and say that what happened on the subway isn't a big deal to you."

"Wait, this happened on the subway? Does Lucas know what happened?"

"Riley," the bedroom door opens, their parents come in, and Riley exclaims from happiness.

"Did I do something? Am I grounded? Do she have to leave? You have to leave, Maya."

"No, you're not in trouble. We need you and your brother to babysit Auggie."

"They need us to babysit Auggie."

"Been there, done that."

"Things could happen twice."

"Unless it's an emergency, we don't want to hear from you."

"What could happen? I'll tell ya. We'll put too much soap in the washing machine and then we'll find a puppy and say, can we keep him, and then his owner will show up. And we'll be heart broken. You see, we have a lot going on today."