Chapter 30

Noah

I have been running to Hopes house every night at around 1:00 a.m.  That seems to be as long as I can stand the separation. She comes outside every time. We can definitely sense one another more now. I stay in my wolf form. I dont think her parents know about the late night visits. She comes out with shoes and a coat on every time now.  She put a large blanket on the swing that sits on her back porch. We sit there every night with my warm form around hers. She pets my fur soothingly. Sometimes she talks to me about things she normally wouldn't. Sometimes she simply falls asleep. Either way, I enjoy the closeness I get to experience with my Soul Mate.

She has been doing really well in training. Im proud of her. She is getting stronger every day. I hope her transition will be as smooth as possible. I will be with her the entire day, in order to help her and comfort her. It is this Friday, and we are all taking the day off from school.  We wouldnt want it to happen there. And her nerves will be on edge leading up to the change. Her wolf will be close to the surface. Most males are extra aggressive the day they turn 18. Females tend to be a little more emotional.

Mom has been spending a lot of time teaching Hope what it means to be Luna of the pack. Hope is the epitome of kindness. She will be perfect. My brothers have become very protective of her. They tell me when they hear anyone gossip or say anything about Hope. High school girls can be petty and cruel. But the high school guys bother me more. They need to keep their eyes and comments to themselves. I have overheard a few asking her out. She always turns them down kindly. I figured they would be scared off by the twins by now. But I guess she is quite appealing. I suppose I cant really blame them.

Yesterday she came into my classroom for lunch with tears in her eyes. I brought her into a close hug immediately. She hesitated to tell me what was wrong. Turns out, one of the girls called her a slut. They couldnt be farther from the truth. But it really hurt her. I wanted to kiss her and help her forget. But I promised not to do that until she turns 18. Just a couple more days. Instead, I told her funny stories about me and my brothers while we ate.  By the end of lunch, she was back to her smiling self.

The next couple of days went by agonizingly slow. We couldnt wait to see her wolf. My nerves were frayed and my connection to her was so strong with the imminent appearance of her other side. My wolf was urging me to claim her as soon as she transitioned. He was not motivated by etiquette or promises made to her Dad. He was more primal than me.  I was trying to keep my emotions in check.

Thursday afternoon, I was ready to pick her up and run out of the classroom with her over my shoulder in front of the whole class. Her scent was changing getting stronger, and much more alluring. It was nearly impossible to resist the urge to pull her into my arms during class. I took deep breaths, hoping the scent would calm me. But it only did the opposite. I noticed my hands were shaking slightly. She could sense my loss of control. She looked at me with understanding. I know this was harder on her than me. If she could take it, so could I.

"Hope, can you please have a look at this essay?"  I said suddenly. She scooted over to me and looked at the blank paper in my hand. She nodded her head and spoke about sentence structure. She took my hand in hers, under my desk. Just that small thing calmed me dramatically.

With her hand still in mine, I told the class that they would be having a substitute tomorrow and that they could work on the new assignment they started today. I reminded them to be kind to the sub. I knew what it was like when the teacher was gone. But these were a pretty good group of kids.

As soon as the last student left the room, I had her in my arms. "Its okay Noah."  She soothed as she rubbed my back. Why was I the emotional one? I should be comforting her. Not the other way around. "Lets go home."  I spoke when the twins came to the door. She walked with Zander down the hall in front of me. The students were getting used to seeing them together and didnt pay them much attention. But my eyes zeroed in on Zanders arm around her shoulder. I noticed that he wasnt actually touching her. His arm hovered just centimeters above her. No one else would see it. But I did. "Thank you, brother."  I told him in the mind link. "No problem Bro, I know this is hard for you right now. It will get easier after tomorrow."  I was thankful for my family. They were awesome.

Hope was spending the night tonight. Her change could happen any time starting at midnight tonight. We didnt want to take any chances. Her parents thankfully were understanding. Mom was making a big dinner. You needed extra strength for your first change. Tonight was a big night for our kind. We would stay up and tell stories of our transitions. I couldnt wait to get home with my girl.