Chapter 35

Hope

I could see the despair on Noah's face. He was so worried about this. "Hope, it's time to go.  Get your things and meet us at the car."  My Dad says gruffly. I have never seen him like this. I get up and go to my room to get my bag. Noah follows me.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't intend to upset him." Noah says, while taking my hand in his.  I stop throwing clothes into my bag and turn toward him. He opens his arms and I am enveloped in his warm embrace.  Unwanted tears are streaming down my face. He rocks me back and forth while running his hands down my back. Leaving tingles everywhere he touches. "I think he will change his mind. He just needs to come to grips with the idea first." I tell him, even though I'm not sure I believe it myself. 

"I better go." I say as I pull myself out of his comforting arms.  He puts his hands on my shoulders and looks me in the eyes.  "Hope, we will be together.  This is just a minor set back.  Everything will be fine."  He then wipes the tears from my cheek. I nod, looking down at the floor. I don't feel as certain as he sounds.  He pulls me back into him again and holds me tight.  I wish I could stay.  Slowly I move away from him and make my way out of the room and then out the front door.  Noah and his Mom are standing outside watching as I get into the car and we pull away. 

Mom and Dad don't say a word as we drive home.  I feel the tension in the car.  My tears are still silently rolling down my cheeks.  Mom turns to look at me.  I see the pain in her own eyes.  She knows exactly how I feel.  At least I know that she understands.  She may not be able to change his mind, but she is sympathetic towards my cause.  So maybe she can help.

When we get home, I run up to my room.  I don't say goodnight to Dad.  I just can't right now.  I don't want to say something I will regret later.  I sit on my bed and take deep breaths.  I am already starting to feel sick.  I can sense my wolf's uneasiness.  We haven't been away from our mate since she emerged.  She is restless and unsettled.  I hadn't considered that I would have to feel her emotions as well.  So far, all I felt from her was happiness and contentment being around Noah.  This is truly uncomfortable.

Suddenly I transform into my wolf.  She completely takes over. I cant stop it.  It's less painful than before, but it feels like it was done in desperation.  I have so many jumbled thoughts running through my head.  I can't distinguish if they are mine or hers.  The one that I clearly identify is one simple word, "Mate!"  Over and over again. 

I find myself pushing my bedroom door open with my nose and running downstairs.  I go strait to the back door.  It's shut and locked.  I pace back and forth.  I can hear myself growling.  I don't know how long I have been doing this when Mom comes into the kitchen.  She takes a startled breath.  "Oh my goodness, Hope, you scared me to death!"  She slowly comes towards me.  She gently puts her hand out and pets down my head.  "It's okay sweetheart.  I will talk to your Dad.  Just be patient."  I walk back over to the door and sit, just staring at the door.  "I don't know if that's a good idea."  She tells me.

I remain right where I am.  Not moving a muscle.  All I can focus on is my wolf and her need to get out of here.  She is strong willed. Eventually, Mom comes over and puts her hand on the door.  "Hope, please be careful.  I know you need to do this. I can see it in your eyes."  Then she opens the door.  I race outside into the cool fresh air.  I run for a little while. Not really thinking about where I am going.  My wolf has taken over.  How does she know where to go?  Then I see him, running towards me.  I go faster until I am right in front of him.  We run around each other in a circle.  Sniffing at each other and playing.  We finally calm down and I put my head up against his.  He is sitting and I am still standing.  He nuzzles my neck affectionately.

Then I lay down.  My wolf is finally settled and content.  Noah wraps his larger body around mine. He completely encompasses my smaller wolf.  I feel warm and satisfied.  I drift off to sleep.  I wake some time later to complete darkness. It must not have been that long.  Noah lifts his head and starts licking my muzzle, and neck.  It's a sign of affection and familiarity.  My wolf recognizes this right away.  She is happy. So am I.  Noah stops and stands up.  He starts to walk slowly and patiently waits for me to shake my fur out and join him.

I follow him until we get to my back yard. I guess it's time for me to go home.  I don't change back into my human form yet.  My wolf still wants some time with Noah.  We sit on the blanket that I had put there weeks ago. I wish I could communicate with him through the mind link.  But that won't happen until he marks me. I wish he could have done it tonight.  Noah is too polite to go against my Dads wishes. 

Noah stands after a while and changes back into his human form.  He's in his pajamas.  Sweats and a t-shirt.  "I couldn't stay away.  My wolf was going crazy.  I had to come here".  He says, almost sadly.  "He wouldn't give me any peace until he saw you."  I just nod my head. I haven't changed back yet. My wolf is in no hurry.  It's ironic that a few days ago, I was sitting here in human form with Noah in his wolf form.  Me babbling to him, while he couldn't talk back.  Now the tables have turned.  "I wanted to run after your car and pull you out of it when you left.  My wolf is feeling very possessive and protective of you right now, so soon after your transition.  Mom had to stop me."

"I don't know how I can go home and just leave you here.  You belong with me.  My Mate, my other half."  He is petting my fur as he speaks.  "My wolf doesn't want you out of our sight."  He turns and looks me in the eyes. "I don't either."  I sit up and lick his face.  That gets me a big goofy smile from Noah.  "What am I going to do without you?"  He asks sadly.  I lay my head back on his lap and enjoy the sparks where his hand pets me from my head to my tail.  Then I fall asleep.