Chapter 44

Noah

Monday came sooner than I wanted. But I got to spend the entire weekend with my soul mate and love of my life. We shared so much with each other. I could truly feel how deeply she loved me. I didn't realize what a big difference my mark would make on our relationship. It was as if what we shared before was only a fraction of the feelings we had for one another. I was on cloud nine all weekend.

Once we got to school, reality set in pretty quickly. I could sense how anxious and shy Hope was around her fellow students. She wasn't thinking about blocking her thoughts from me. She was projecting everything. I could feel how hurt she was when the other girls gave her dirty looks. I sensed her irritation as guys ogled her and made comments about her body. I felt her sadness at being away from me. Her longing to be in my arms and have my lips on hers. This was not good at all. I couldn't concentrate on my students. I gave everyone free study time. It was the best I could do today given the circumstances.

When she finally arrived in my classroom, I was ready to engulf her in my arms and not let her go. I had blocked her from my mind completely since we arrived. I didn't want her to have to deal with my longing for her as well as her own. But I slipped. As soon as our eyes met, everything came pouring out towards her. She visibly gasped and her cheeks turned as red as I have ever seen them. She looked away quickly as I telepathically apologized for my inappropriate thoughts. But based on her own thoughts slipping through, I realized she was in the same predicament. We could think of nothing but each other. It was all consuming.

The day dragged on until lunch time. Her and the twins showed up rather quickly. As soon as they walked in behind her, I told them to go eat someplace else. Hope ran to me and I didn't hesitate to kiss her lips, her jaw, down her neck and landing on my mark. It caused a burst of tingles to run through my body starting at my lips. She shivered. I hummed in approval as I continued to kiss her there.

"We have to stop." she said suddenly. I immediately pulled back in shock. What had I let myself do? We couldn't do this at school. I was the mature one, the leader of my pack. And yet I so carelessly gave into my desires right here in my classroom. "I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to..." She put her finger over my lips to hush me. "I wanted you to." she said slowly in a voice deeper than usual. I bit her finger and she laughed.

We sat at my desk with her on my lap as I handed her the lunch. "I need you to try and block your thoughts and emotions the rest of the school day." I told her sadly. "Oh, I completely forgot. I didn't mean for you to hear all of that." I kissed her nose. "I know you didn't. In any other circumstance, I would love to hear what you thought about the jeans I'm wearing today. But since I have students to teach, I probably shouldn't know how good they make my butt look." She looked down at her hands. I brought her chin up to look at me. "I love that you think I'm attractive. But today I couldn't think of anything but you. I will never get any work done again if I hear your longing to run your fingers through my hair." I tell her with a huge smile. She smacks me on the chest. "I didn't think that." She insists. "Oh, you most definitely did. It was at 9:37 this morning."

We tease each other and eat for the next 30 minutes. The best 30 minutes of the day. Then I hear the door begin to crack open. I instantly take Hope off my lap and place her gently under my desk. It's a big oak monstrosity, thank goodness. The twins left and I didn't think to lock the door behind them. I could feel the fear coming off of Hope. "Relax, I got this. It's okay." I tell her telepathically. The first bell rings and then all the students pour into the room. I guess one student just arrived early. I should have been watching the clock. The late bell rings and Hope is still huddled under my desk. Her heart beating rapidly. Her fear of getting caught bombarding my mind.

"Today, we are going to take class outside. It's a beautiful day. And I think it will help us all be a little more creative in our writing. Grab your things and head out to the baseball field. We are going to write about what you see and feel at a baseball game." I hear some cheers and students suggesting that they can sneak away. At this point, I don't even care. I just need them out of here so Hope can get out safely.

"Wait a couple minutes after I leave, and then go to the office. Tell the nurse you have a headache and get something to take for it. Then she will give you a late pass. Everything will be fine. I will make sure no one is in the hall when you walk out of here." She agrees with me mentally and we put our plan into action. I have to tell a couple of the stragglers to hurry up. Once everyone is out of the classroom, I walk up the hall and make sure it's clear. "You can go now." I send to her.

I wait at the far end of the hall until I see her come out of the room and head to the office. That was a close one. We have to be more careful. I was behaving like a teenager. All I cared about was seeing Hope and holding her in my arms. It was foolish and reckless. I berate myself throughout the rest of the class. "It wasn't only your fault. It was mine too. We won't let it happen again." She tells me in my mind. I must have not been blocking my thoughts either. I'm a mess.

I don't hear her thoughts the rest of the day. When she comes to the next class we have together, I don't project my feelings, and neither does she. Okay, we can handle this. I try not to look at her too much. When we get in the car at the end of the day, we both breath a big sigh of relief. "What's going on?" Zander asks. Hope and I look at each other and start to laugh. "Nothing." We both say at the same time.