Chapter 11

Hope

I couldn't speak, I couldn't move. I just looked into her eyes as tears streamed down my face. "I had just found out I was pregnant the day before. We were going to tell Delilah and her husband the good news that night. I never got the chance to do it. I couldn't stay there. The memories and the pain would be too much. I know I was a coward to run away. It was all just so overwhelming. I needed to go back home, to my family."

"I tried to contact you, but you never responded. I even went to your dorm and they told me you had left. Then your number was disconnected. I even tried to get in touch with your parents, but they never returned my calls." Delilah told my Mom through tears. "I know, I was a horrible friend when you needed me the most. I should never have left. I was devastated and confused. I went through the most horrible pain. I'm sure you felt the same way, but worse. I felt like I was dying when I lost him. The only thing that kept me going was Hope. She was the only thing that kept me alive." Mom admitted.

"Tempest, I don't blame you for leaving. I just wish I could have been there for you through your pregnancy. Raiden was like family to us. I would have helped you and Hope.  We would have raised the children together. That's how it was meant to be." Delilah implored. My Mom shook her head and looked down at her lap. "I'm sorry, I'm so very sorry. I wasn't there for you. I changed my number and hid myself away. I couldn't deal with it all. I couldn't get out of bed. I had no energy. My head hurt for months."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My parents and Noah's parents were best friends. I also just learned my Dad's name for the first time.  And that he was murdered trying to save Noah's family. I didn't know anything about him until this moment. Mom refused to talk about him. I don't think my grandparents or Dad even knew this. I'm in shock. I don't know what to think or feel. I have so many questions.

"Tempest, I remember you well from when I was a child. That day is as clear in my mind as it was when it happened. You risked your life for me and my Mom. I have never forgotten that. Every year, my family has a little commemoration of thanks to you and Raiden, and my Dad on the date of their death. We will never forget the great loss you experienced that day on our behalf. You and Hope will always be considered family to us, and that extends to your husband as well." Noah spoke kindly to my Mom as he knelt in front of her and took her hand. He had tears in his eyes.

Mom put her other hand on Noah's face. "Sweet Noah. You are such a kindhearted man, just like the boy I remember. I loved you like my own child. I would have given my life for you. I'm so glad to be a part of this family again, and that Hope has been welcomed by you all. I have cried so many nights for the little boy who lost his Dad that day. I'm so glad to be sitting here right now, seeing how you have grown up into a handsome young man. So many times, I considered looking your family up and begging your forgiveness for running away. But I didn't think you would want to see me." She confesses.

"Tempie, we have always honored the memory of you and Raiden. You are treasured to us. We have a memory book in the other room, full of photos of you two." He tells her. She stands and hugs him close. He holds her as she cries. I didn't know I could fall more in love with him in only an hours' time.

"There is more we want to fill you in on about our lives. But for tonight, lets just have a meal together and get to know your family better." Delilah suggests. "That sounds perfect, thank you." Mom tells her. Noah's Mom stands and so do the rest of us. We follow her into the kitchen. "I hope I didn't burn everything." She says as she looks at all the pots and pans. "I turned them all off." Zander says.

Mom and I proceed to help her gather all the food together to bring it to the table. The boys set out the dishes. Dad sits at the table awkwardly. I'm sure he feels like he doesn't belong here right now. I go over to him and give him a big hug. He hugs me back and whispers, "thank you princess." We finally all sit down and start passing food around.

Zade breaks the silence. "This is so crazy. We knew Hope was special." "Yes, she is very special." Delilah says as she looks at me. "I immediately felt comfortable here." I tell them. "Yes, when I met the twins, I felt some sort of connection, like I could trust them." Mom tells us all. Noah looks at me again with a deep, penetrating stare. Mom again looks from him to me.

"Hope told us you were an amazing cook Delilah. You know Hope here is the chef in the family." Dad tells her. "Is that right? I would love to cook with you sometime Hope. You should come over more often. I could teach you some tricks. Of course, I would love for you to come too, Tempie. I've missed your friendship so much over the years. I would like to have my best friend back."  Mom looks at her and nods. "I would love that too. You won't be able to get rid of me now." She tells her smiling.

"So, Noah, what do you do now?" Mom asks him. "I'm actually an English teacher." He pauses. "Hope's English teacher." He adds and looks at me. Moms eyes go wide, and she looks at Delilah. She nods. I don't know exactly what just transpired between them, but it's big. Mom looks back at me. Her face is like stone. She gives nothing away. Then she looks again at Noah. What is she thinking? Is she going to keep me from coming over here? "Like I said, there is so much to tell you Tempie." Delilah says.

What do you think? Feedback is appreciated.