Chapter 31

Hope

After a crappy and painful day at school, but a wonderful evening with Noah and his family, I finally fell asleep around 11 at night. My belly and my heart were full. I was nervous about my transition, but also couldnt wait to get it over with. I just wanted to meet my wolf. I had learned a lot about what to expect. I thought I was pretty prepared. Noah decided to sleep on the floor of my room, in wolf form. He was afraid to leave my side. I appreciated his vigilance and support.

I slept soundly until around 4:00 a.m. I awoke suddenly with pains in my arms and legs. Noah was already on high alert. His wolf stood at the side of my bed. "Im okay."  I assured him as I reached over and pet his fur. I kept my hand on his neck as the next wave of pain hit me. He suddenly changed into his human form. "I will talk you through it."  He told me comfortingly. I sat up and took his hands in mine. He knelt in front of me. "It will take a while. We can just stay here for about an hour. Then we can go out back."

He sat on my bed with his back against the headboard and me snuggled into his lap. He told me our physical contact would help ease the discomfort. He held me and whispered soothing words into my ear each time another wave of pain hit me. I could feel the pressure intensifying as time went on. It was as if my body was building up with steam that would soon explode.

Noah eventually had to carry me outside. I didnt know how much time had passed. Soon his Mom and brothers joined us. At that point, I was not completely coherent. All I could concentrate on was the feeling of Noah wrapped around me. The electric feeling of his touch kept my mind from the building pain. He rocked me slowly back and forth. "You can do this Hope."

Then the real pain hit. What I had been feeling before was nothing compared to this. I knew that it would not always feel this way. But the first shift was difficult. I let out the moan I had been keeping in for so long. Sweat was forming on my forehead. "You are almost there love. Just let it happen."

Then it did. I cant describe it properly. The best way I can put it is like a baby being born. I was emerging from my protected human form and bursting through into my wolf. The final step happened quickly. Noah put me down on the grass. I felt as though I had been struck by lighting. But I could feel I was no longer in my human form. I was suddenly more. I was two beings at once. I understood what was happening. I knew who I was. But I was also something else at the same time. Something powerful.

All around me there were new sensations and smells. I saw with sharper eyes. Even my recent advanced hearing was nothing compared to this. I could hear the smallest bird up in its nest moving around. I looked into Noahs eyes. He was gazing at me like I was the most amazing thing he had ever seen. His smile was brilliant. He was on his knees in front of me. He put his hands on the sides of my muzzle. "You are extraordinary Hope."Then he engulfed me in his strong arms.

I remembered there were other people here, and I turned to look at them. They hadn't brought the rest of the pack over. It was too early. They appeared relieved and excited. But they didnt approach me. I think they knew this was Noahs time.  I nodded at the three of them, since I couldnt speak. Then Noah turned into his wolf. His transition was of course smooth and seamless. I envied him at this moment. He was much bigger than me. But what did I expect? That I would be this huge muscular wolf? I didnt even know what I looked like yet.

Noah turned toward the forest and then waited for me to join him. I took my first tentative steps and realized that I was balanced and no longer in any pain. I jumped up in a little excited, playful prance. I heard the others laugh. Noah rubbed his nose into my neck. I closed my eyes and smelled him. He had his usual tantalizing scent, but it was much stronger. I nuzzled into him closer. Then he walked all around me, checking me out. His tail was wagging. Then he faced the woods once again. I knew he wanted to run together.

The sun was just starting to rise as we made our way into the trees. He took off and I followed. Happily jumping over rocks and branches. I stopped often to look at things I had never noticed before. Noah indulged me and waited as I sniffed the ground, noticing I could pick up on the faint scents of creatures who had passed through here not long ago. It was amazing.

We finally made it to the water. Noah got close and let me know I could take a drink. It was cool and refreshing. Then I laid down in a grassy spot right beside it. Noah curled his large body and tail around me and we slept.