Chapter 17

Hope

Okay, alright. Noah just told me I'm a werewolf. I need to calm down. My breathing and heart rate have increased. Noah just got a little closer. That isn't really helping. I'm freaking out. Werewolves aren't real. I can't be a werewolf. This isn't happening. I think I may be hyperventilating. Am I going to pass out? Don't pass out Hope, I tell myself.  "Hope, love, relax." I hear the rumble of a very calming voice. I take a big breath. I smell him and start to relax just a little.

"How can that be true?" I ask. "Hope, I know it sounds very farfetched. But I'm telling you the truth. I would not lie to you." He tells me. "We don't run around like animals all day. We actually don't do it often at all. We live regular lives like everyone else. We just have the ability to transform into wolves. We will help you when you turn 18."

"So, Mom doesn't know about this?" I ask in disbelief. "No, Raiden was going to tell her that day he was killed. He never got the chance. But I wanted to tell you as soon as possible. I need to help you." He looks scared. Like I'm going to run away. Maybe I am going to run away. I really don't know. I'm just so shocked and confused.

"How was she Raiden's Soul Mate if she wasn't a wolf?" I ask. "That's something else I need to tell you. Female werewolves are very few and very precious to us. That is one of the reasons that you are so special. In our community here of 25, there are only 4 female werewolves. The last 9 children born in our community have been boys. We are dwindling. Many are losing hope that we can continue without any females being born. Some men search far and wide for their Soul Mate. A couple females have returned with them. But they aren't werewolves. Raiden wasn't from here originally. He moved here to teach at Harvard and to search for his Soul Mate. Then he found your Mom. It was so exciting. Everyone was happy for him."

"So, are there a lot of werewolf communities in the world?" I ask. "No, not many. There are only 20 in the United States. The unmated males go from one to another to hopefully find their Soul Mate in the area. It isn't safe for us to live outside of our communities. We are very close, and we stay together." He explains. "When a human woman is found, who is compatible as a Soul Mate, she is almost always near the werewolf communities, like your Mom had been."

"What happens when I turn 18?" I ask. I'm honestly scared to hear the truth. "Your body will change and turn into your wolf form for the first time. It is strenuous on the body and can hurt if you aren't in good shape. We will help train you and prepare you for the transition." That doesn't sound too bad. Totally crazy and insane, but not too bad. "Will I get any special abilities?" I ask excitedly. "Well, you may start noticing some of them soon. Your sense of smell, taste, hearing and eyesight will improve." He tells me. That's pretty cool. "I have been hearing people whispering from farther distances." "Oh really, that's great. It's starting. You will also be able to pick up nuances in the way people smell. For example, if someone is really scared, or if they are lying, they emanate a certain smell that you will learn to detect. It helps protect us from harm."

"Anything else?" I ask. "Well, there is one more little tiny thing. Once you have transformed for the first time, you will be able to communicate with us telepathically." He says nonchalantly. Did he just say what I think he said? Telepathic communication? No way! That is so awesome! "Are you serious? Or are you messing with me?" I ask excitedly.  "I'm totally serious. It is the most amazing skill we have. I can't wait to speak with you inside your head." He says with more enthusiasm than I expected. It must be awesome! "It can be very intimate." He tells me. "Oh." I am silent for a moment, contemplating that. Okay. That sounds like a good thing. I can't wait to get that skill.

"How will we spend enough time together every day, so that we don't get sick?" I ask. "Well, I have been thinking about that for a few days. It would be perfect if you could just move in here. But I doubt your Dad would go for it, yet. So, I think for now, we can have lunch together every day. We still have two classes during the school day. I can pick you up and bring you home before and after. Maybe you can eat dinner here as often as possible. We can spend all day together on the weekends." He suggests. "Okay, we will see how that goes, I guess. But I don't just start feeling sick, when I leave you, I feel sad too. It's like my puppy just died." He laughs at that. "I guess you can consider me your puppy, just a lot stronger." Oh my gosh, I hadn't meant it that way. My face turns bright red. I hope he cant see it.

"I want to see you as a wolf. Is that okay?" I ask shyly. I don't know if that's a personal thing or what. "Really? I would love to show you my wolf. He wants to meet you too." He lets me know. "How does it work?" "I just have to picture myself in my wolf form and I change. It takes a while to get it to happen quickly. You will have to work at it a bit." He informs me. "Do you rip your clothes or something?" "No, that's a myth. Whatever we have on is just miraculously back on when we change back to our human form."

I sit down and get comfortable for the show. He gets down on his knees in front of me. Then slowly I see him change. He is contorting and bones are snapping. Then, before my eyes is a beautiful, shiny black wolf. He's huge. I didn't realize that. But it makes sense. I slowly reach out to pet his head. He backs up a bit. I forgot about the touching. I guess it applies to wolf form too. That is disappointing. I really wanted to touch the soft looking fur. He walks around me, then sits down and looks me straight into my eyes. His are the same blue as they were before. Amazing. I wish I could communicate with him telepathically. I guess I can still talk to him. He just can't talk back. "You are so beautiful." I tell my wolf. He smiles. That's cute. "You are amazing. I love the way you look in your wolf form. Gorgeous." He puts his head down like he was embarrassed.

Soon he changes back. That was so awesome. "Wow, amazing. I'm in awe of you." I tell him. "Thank you love. I'm glad you like me in both of my forms." "How could I not, he is still you, just a little wilder." "You aren't scared of me?" he asks. "Not at all. I loved it. I have always had a thing for wolves." I tell him honestly. We start to walk back toward the house.

As we are making our way through the trees I ask, "Is that why you have a forest as your back yard?" "Yes, that is precisely why. You should feel a sense of calm here. Like it's home to you." "Yes, that's exactly how I feel. I love it out here." I tell him. "I'm so glad. This will all be yours one day." "What do you mean?" I ask surprised. "Well, I am sort of the leader of our group of werewolves. I'm what they call the Alpha."

Please vote if you are enjoying the story. Thank you so much for reading. It means so much to me.