ーfourteen : a mission

"It's been a while since I last felt snow." You lay on the snowy ground with Skye. She was the only person here whom you could have fun with. The others were either busy or not interested. This place was kind of lonely but you didn't complain at all.  You liked the silence.

"How was your life back then, (Y/n)?" Skye asked. You froze and went silent for a moment, thinking what to say to her. "Oh, I'm sorry. Is it a sensitive topic? You don't have to answer it..." The woman beside you sat up and apologized. However, you told her that it's alright and you were gonna talk about it.

"My life... Back then wasn't that much. I was the only child of the family. I had average grades in school... I used to hang out with my uncle Breach after classes too. And then when I was 15, I got abducted. Heck, I didn't even know what was happening." You smiled at the sky knowing that you were finally free from that laboratory.

"For the past 12 years, I was trapped in that disgusting laboratory. Thanks to Jett, Yoru and Phoenix, I managed to escape that hell safely."

"I'm so sorry to hear that..." Skye held your hand and squeezed it not too tight. "It's alright, Skye. I've already moved on... Maybe." You gave her a little smile and sat up from the ground.

You scooped a handful of snow with your gloved hands and tried to make a miniature snowman. Your snowman making ended up being an intense snowball fight with Skye. You may have accidentally used your abilities on her but no one was injured so it was fine.

Later that Night

Everyone was present in the dining room, eating dinner while talking about things about future missions. "(Y/n). You're gonna go on your first mission tomorrow with Omen." Viper stated while you almost choked on your food after hearing what she said.

I was still not ready for a mission right? Why are they putting me in the team now? You shivered as you drank water from your glass and composed yourself.

"The mission is only gonna be scouting the area, don't worry. If anything happens, just stay with Omen and we'll send back up." Viper reassured. You sometimes wonder if Viper was not as heartless as you think she is.

You didn't really know Omen that much so you expect the mission to be an awkward one. You sighed and continued eating your food. Omen stood up and grabbed his plate. "Thank you for the food." And with that, he put his dish in the sink.

Hell. The mission was gonna be so silent. You gulped down the last bit of your food and put your dishes in the sink. You then returned to your room after drinking a glass of cold water.

You felt your anxiety build up as you think of what might happen during the mission. You closed your eyes and took a deep breath. Did Brimstone even approve of this?

You lay down your bed while browsing the social media. A ping was heard and a messaged popped up on your screen. It was from Omen. You gave everyone in the headquarters your number a few days ago so they can contact you if you're away.

Omen

Hello, (Y/n).
I texted you because I wanted to
know what you think about the
mission for tomorrow.

Oh
hi Omen

Well...
I'm pretty much kind of nervous
since it's my first mission but I'll
try my best to be of some assistance
to you

Great.
That's all I had to ask.

Have a lovely night.

You too Omen.
:D

You facepalmed. You really didn't have to put the smiley face at the end but you just couldn't resist. It was an unusual habit.

The next day came by fast and you made sure to get a lot of sleep last night so you would have the energy for today. Everyone just finished eating breakfast and are now preparing for today's mission.

"Are you ready for today, (Y/n)?" Skye swung her arm over your shoulder which gave you a little scare. "Of course, I am. I'm a little bit nervous though..." You let out an airy chuckle and fixed your boots. You wore your coat to help you with the cold and put on your (favourite color) beanie that you and Skye made.

Omen came out of his room all ready and present. I wonder how Omen actually gets ready with... Never mind. You shook your head to get the thought out and fixed yourself. The airship you were going to ride on was already outside in the open area.

"Let's go." Omen held his hand out to you and which you awkwardly took. He was quite the gentleman and you liked that. Maybe this mission with him wouldn't be so bad afterall.

"The trip will be about 30 minutes long. Be ready." Viper's announcement was heard from the earpieces we wore. We both replied with a hum while the pilot started the airship. The pilot was one of the workers you knew in the headquarters so you were relieved.

After a few minutes, you received a text from Aamir.

Aamir 👽

Be safe.

Seriously...
You literally know everything.

Haha, what can I do about it?
My eyes are everywhere you know.

Not that I care anyway

Aww (Y/n), you're so mean
Anyway, make sure to stay safe alright?
I don't want you to return with bruises.

No promises.
See you soon, Aamir.
:)

You too, (Y/n).

Brimstone

"You put her on a mission?!" I paced around the room worriedly as I tried to calm myself down. Sabine put (Y/n) on a scouting mission without my permission!

"Don't worry Brim, she'll do whatever it takes to become stronger." Sabine's voice replied from my earpiece. "That girl isn't ready yet, Viper! What were you thinking?!" I let out a long sigh and contacted Cypher.

"It's too late to stop now, Brimstone. Kingdom is making their move." With one last remark, Sabine's communication device disconnected from the call.

。。。