ーforty : power

♪ ♪ ♪ ♪ ♪

Your eyes fluttered open immediately when your alarm loudly played from your phone. Dismissing the alarm, you lied on your bed for a little while and woke yourself up by gently rubbing your face. Slowly, you stood up from your bed and fixed your bed. You noticed your hair was quite unruly when you glanced in the mirror. After taking a bath, you grabbed your brush and dressed yourself up to start the day. 

Today's outfit was your combat attire since you were going on a mission with your assigned team today. You felt a frisson of excitement rush through your whole body. It's going to be your first time on a proper mission and you wanted to be presentable and ready. 

Once you were done dressing up, you left your room and made your way to the kitchen to see what was for breakfast. As usual, Sage is in the kitchen preparing breakfast for the Protocol. "Good morning, Sage!" You greeted her as you walked in the room and towards the refrigerator to get yourself (milk/juice/cold water).

"Good morning, (Y/n). You're quite early today, eh? I suppose you're excited for today's task?" Sage chuckled and continued on with her thing. You nodded as you closed the fridge and walked to an empty seat to rest your legs. You were going to be running a lot today so you had to save your energy.

Soon after, Sova entered the kitchen and greeted the both of you. He sat on the seat across your and pulled out his phone. Assuming he was scrolling through social media, you carried on with you and your daydreams. You were startled when Soleil suddenly jumped on your lap to greet you. 

"Morning, (Y/n)!" Her smile was bright and she looked very excited for today. You had to admit, Soleil is very adorable. It's the first time you've seen someone with natural pink hair and you were quite amused.  I wonder what her parents look like.

The dining table was slowly being filled with people from the protocol as time passed. Cypher sat to your left and Soleil on the right. You ate breakfast with them and had your fun time.

Sage made the team wear a specific colored bracelet so that when Kingdom has the same people deployed, it won't be confusing. 

"Are you ready?" Sage turned to you as she fixed her outfit. You nodded and glanced at Yoru who was getting in a different airship. You mouthed a good luck to him and he winked in reply. Flustered by his gesture, you looked away and ran inside the airship to meet with Soleil and Sova.

"How are you doing, (Y/n)? Weapons ready?" Sova put a hand on your shoulder and gave you an energy drink. "I'm kinda nervous... But I think I can manage." You took the canned drink from Sova and opened it to take a sip. You weren't a fan of the drink's flavour but you finished it anyway. 

"Everyone ready?" Sage entered the airship with her weapon on her side. The team nodded and the doors were closed to prepare for take-off. Your hands felt cold and numb, you were getting so nervous now that the airship was finally moving. The vibration of the walls kept you anxious and troubled. 

A hand grabbed yours. You look up to see Sova. The man was quite stoic but he shows care and affection to those he loves. "You'll be alright, Золотце" His hands were also cold but it somehow warmed you up. You almost teared up when he smiled at you and patted you on the head. 

"Спасибо, Sova." You thanked him and he was quite stunned that you knew Russian. "I only know a few words." You awkwardly scratched the back of your head and laughed. "That's cool, (Y/n)! What other languages do you know?" Soleil jumped in the conversation. 

"Hmm, let's see. I know (Known Language)... (Native Language) and little bit of (Known Language)." You counted all the languages you knew. Most of the languages you knew were just a few phrases and words you heard from the internet and stuff. "That's so dope!" Soleil jumped in excitement.

I guess she's not nervous for this mission... You stared at the girl who ran back to Sage near the pilot's seat to ask her when will we arrive. "She's been with us ever since she was 5." Sova comfortably sat beside you. After that, there was a long silence before Sage came back saying that we've arrived. 

"Grab your weapons and gears. We have to move. Yoru's been dispatched already." Sage ordered. Quickly, you wore your jacket and winter gloves to prevent yourself from getting frostbite from your own abilities.  The area was quite hot but you weren't affected by the heat. Your outfit kept you in a comfortable temperature. 

The place was quite similar to where you were taken by Kingdom. Japan. It's the same place. You didn't know where the Kingdom headquarters was and you didn't want to know. Sage called this place Split  so you assumed it was the name of the place. 

"Yoru, come in. Any information?" Sage contacted the guy through her earpiece. Since everyone's earpieces were connected to the same source, you could all hear Yoru's response. "Yoru here. They're heading towards Site B. I'm following them from behind. Don't engage yet. Over." 

Site B? Where was that? You forgot to bring your map with you so you just followed your team who started walking towards a certain direction. Keeping an eye out of any people trying to attack from behind, the four of you patrolled the area and checked for any enemy traps. You were separated into two teams. Sova and Sage together and Soleil and you. 

A few minutes later, the sound of beeping was heard not far from where you were. Since you and Soleil were the only one near the area, Soleil called out to the other three people with her earpiece. "Sol here. They've already planted the bomb here in Site B. Over." Short hums were heard from your earpiece while you waited for your team to arrive. 

Time was ticking and you only had a few seconds to disarm the planted bomb. You were informed that the bomb explodes under a minute so you and your team had to hurry. You saw a figure running behind the box and aimed at them. You hesitated to shoot for a second but Soleil nudged you and threw an acidic formula towards the box to force the enemy out. (She learned making acidic formulas from Viper.)

"If you don't shoot them, you die." Soleil jumped down to the ground and pulled out her pistol. Stunned by the boldness of the 12-year-old girl, you shook your head and shot the box to see if the bullets go through. Thankfully it did. A body dropped to the ground when you finished shooting. Your body temperature went down when you saw the stranger's bloody body.  

You tried to ignore the fact that you just shot and killed somebody. You sighed in relief when you realized it wasn't the 'clone' of your teammates that you shot. 

Wait. Why am I glad that I didn't kill anyone I know from Kingdom?

。。。