Book 1: A Girl in Another World - Chapter 10

Quinn

Back at the cottage, Liam was still looking at me like I have horns on my head while Maria and Elizabeth continued to weep. I couldn't blame them. Quinn, or rather me, was being sacrificed as a bride to a lord who was rumored to be a monster and had murdered his last wife, after all, not that I believed in that bullshit one bit. Maybe there was some truth to it, but I wasn't going to judge my future husband's character without meeting and knowing him first.

Wait! Future husband? What was I even thinking? Sure, I was going to marry him, but the moment I found out he was indeed that horrible person and started abusing me, I won't be willy-nilly enduring it. I already had plans of escape.

I'd divorce him and disappear to live my own life wherever my heart desired. I'd even cross over to other countries. With my magic, it wouldn't be hard.

Okay, I thought, I had better stop thinking so far ahead. Right now, I needed to deal with this, the Fairchilds.

It looked like I'd have to come clean before the bond between us got too deep and I ended up hurting them due to my rash decisions and actions. I knew what I had done earlier had probably aged them ten years, if I hadn't already given them heart palpitations.

I leaned toward Elizabeth and said, "Please stop crying." I placed my hands on her cheeks and then whispered, "Heal."

A glow of mana flowed from my palms and radiated to Elizabeth's skin, and she widened her eyes as the magic did its work. As I healed, I could feel both Liam's and Maria's eyes on me and my magic, and Maria uttered, "Oh my heavens! Quinn, you're..."

"I'm healing Mother," I said. "Or rather... Elizabeth..."

Bruise and cuts disappeared, and the swell reduced until Elizabeth's face was normal once again. When I moved my hands back, Elizabeth's eyes were on me. I could see the shock and confusion in her gaze, and I knew it had to be now.

I said, "I'm not Quinn Fairchild and I've been blessed."

There was silence, and three pairs of eyes simply stared at me as if I had now grown a pair of demons' wings on my back.

I continued. "I'm not sure how it happened, but I'm from another world. I was... struck down by a truck and found myself here, in Quinn's body two weeks ago." I sighed, could see that Elizabeth was about to bawl her eyes out again. Tears were brewing in her eyes and her lips were quivering with emotions.

"I'm sorry. I..." I sighed again. "Since I'm not Quinn Fairchild, I think it's best we part ways. I'm sorry that Quinn died. I'm sorry, or not so sorry, that I took her place. But I do think it's best we part ways since we have nothing to do with each other. Now that you are no longer bound to Lord Bedford and are free of debts, you can go and do whatever your hearts desire."

I didn't want to drag them with me to Norsewood since according to rumors, it was a godforsaken land, and not especially when it was with Lord Norsewood himself. I'd be putting their lives in danger and...

Damn, I didn't know. I just didn't want them to feel like they were being pressured into coming with me to a far-off place they didn't want to be.

I stood then, and I was about to turn and leave, to where I had no idea yet, when Elizabeth suddenly, shakily wrapped her arms around my waist and pulled me to her. She buried her face against my middle, which surprised the bejesus out of me, and said, "I know. I know you're not my Quinn, but you're still my Quinn. I'm still your mother." She moved back and raised her eyes to look at me.

"I've known since that day you woke up. Quinn... she already died. She breathed her last breath, and I was devastated. I lost the other half of my soul that day. I was empty. I was just a shell. I couldn't bear it, couldn't tell anyone that Quinn died, so I went out and just walked. When I returned, you woke up and I was... overjoyed. I know you're not my Quinn, but Iella, the Goddess of Life, gave me a second chance and I feel whole again."