Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 53

Quinn

Once I finished my dinner, I excused myself and headed up to the conference room on the fifth floor of the administration building to get things ready for the meeting.

"Well, Vicky," I said. "Let's get things started."

Indeed, was Vicky's replied, and half an hour later, I had some prototypes of the new gadgets done, just in time as everyone started turning up and taking their seats around the table.

The members were Aldric, as the lord of the land; Uncle Colt, dubbed the second lord of the land; Sir Theo Wakefield, head captain of Norsewood warriors; Connor Carter, captain of the northern station; Elio Carter, second captain of Norsewood; Vincent Taylor, third captain of Norsewood; Allan Wakefield, head of business and finance; Jacob Morton, head of administration; Gladys Burton, head of the kitchen; Nellie White, head of housekeeping; Mabel Garwood, head of the textile department; Robert Lamont, head of the woodwork department; Darell Henley, head of the blacksmith department; Kent Ingram, head of the agriculture department; Spencer Dunn, head of the stables; Grayson Kerr, head of maintenance and groundskeeping; and Chris Orson, head of the watchtower and security. Also attending were Derek Porter, head of Carnfell Village; Gordon Barlow, head of Dunwich Village; Craig Fulton, head of Kearville Village; and Collin Linton, head of Lumwick Village. Of course, there were the other Templetons, too, such as Mark, general manager of Norsewood; Miles, second in charge of business and finance; Caine, second in charge of administration; and Eden, Sara, Frances, and the Fairchilds—Elizabeth, Maria, and Liam.

I noticed that everyone's eyes were on the prototype sitting on the table. I was sure they were intrigued as to what those gadgets were.

Clearing my throat, I said, "I'm sorry to spring up the meeting so suddenly like this, but I think it's urgent."

"There's no need to be sorry, lassie," Uncle Colt said. "I'll attend every meeting you spring up, even if it's sudden. I'm sure it's important."

Robert nodded. "Indeed."

I said, "Thank you, Uncle Colt. So, on to the topic then. This morning, I heard for the first time that in years past, when soldiers go out to survey the land in winter, the inexperienced ones go missing due to the hazard and when they are found a few days later, it's too late. This, to me, brings up problems that need solutions. Lives are important and need saving no matter what. Hence, we need to come up with safety protocols. Back in my homeland, when soldiers go out on a mission, they are tracked using technology, so when anyone goes missing, he is easily found. I think we need something like that here, too."

"How do we do that, my lady?" Elio asked.

I said, "Back in my homeland, we have a tracker. This tracker pings back to headquarters and tells the operators where exactly the soldiers are. The soldiers also have what is call a radio or a walkie-talkie, a communication device. For normal citizens, we have what is called a cell phone, and we can use that to contact people when we need help."

"This communication device sounds like telepathy," Theo said.

Connor nodded. "Only high priests and those with high-tier magic can use something like that."

Telepathy, eh? It seemed some could use that here. Although this communication and tracking device I had created used telepathy magic, too, according to Vicky.

I picked up a small gadget, an earpiece, and said, "This is a new device I've created. With this, those going out on a mission can be tracked as well as communicate."

"How does that work, my lady?" Darell asked.

I said, "It's easy. You simply place it in your ear like this." I demonstrated by placing one into mine and secured the handle over the top of the ear, much like the secret service version back home, except for this one was wireless. "To talk, simply lightly touch on the earpiece like this." I did a tap on the gadget. "And then talk. When you finish talking, you shut it off again by doing another tap. Although you shut it off, you can still hear instructions from headquarters when instructions need to be given out."