Book 2: My Lord Saves the Citizens - Chapter 77

Quinn

Vicky zoomed in closer until we could see a wide clearing within the side of the mountain itself, with the edges raised high above it like a fort. On the other side was an opening, no doubt the entrance to the mine. There were also dots of what looked like people wearing rags and men who looked like guards, with whips.

"There's no doubt that is where the captives are," I said, and everyone nodded.

"It appears the only way into that place is through that burrow," Uncle Colt said. "Or via the pass around the mountain those bastards used to import the captives and their stock."

"As well as exporting whatever they're mining out," Theo said.

The image zoomed out to the vastness of the mountains again, and Vicky stated, Per my calculation, it would take a minimum of one week on horseback to reach the mountain. With carriages, longer. That does not include time spent resting and taking care of monsters that will undoubtedly attack during the journey.

"Like the mountain trolls and orcs," Elio said.

"And the night trolls," Vincent said. "Though Aldric did kill a horde, there will be many more across the alps."

"Indeed," Mark said.

"Then we must make haste," Juan said.

Hence, the planning commenced, and as I sat there quietly and listened, because I couldn't possibly join in and make suggestions since this was not my forte, the more complicated and dangerous the rescue mission sounded. Not only would the monsters prove to be a hindrance and would cause much danger, possibly lead to lives lost during the journey toward the dungeon and more so back because there'd be civilians, but the roads themselves were very concerning. One could hardly call those roads—hazardously made around the edges of the mountains and snow-covered during the depth of winter that they were—proper roads. They were more of a guaranteed accident if one dare to set foot on them. Not to mention some points didn't even have a clear path and would need improvisation, such as bridges to close the gap between two sides. Indeed, it was a suicide mission.

As they continued and put forward more suggestions and discussed the pros and cons, I got up and strolled toward the window, my mind racing.

How... How could we make it to that mountain in a very short time span, preferably less than a week, and then bring all six hundred, possibly more, civilians back to Norsewood Lodge without getting anyone killed in the process? It was just impossible.

I sighed and gazed off at the horizon, absentmindedly noting the clear sky and the endless snow-covered land that was Norsewood. Down below, Grayson was once again driving the snowblower, clearing the snow around the lodge. On the other side, the children were playing, throwing snowballs at each other. There I saw Jonah and company, plus little Red this time, having their competition again, seeing who could throw the paper airplane the farthest.

In the distance across the field of trees, I could just glimpse Robert, David, Kent, Derek, and the men from the woodwork and agriculture departments training with their earth magic. They were not going to let a clear day go by without training, were they? I wondered what they were sculpturing this time. More castles and palaces? More cute animals? Plowing the field and making paths between the paddies and building foundations for housing?

I widened my eyes. Wait! Hold on! Just hold the hell on! If the men blessed or had affinity with earth magic could do all those, then...

I shifted my gaze to Jonah and company again, and Jonah was throwing another paper airplane, which flew and drifted quite a distance away, with Red chasing after it. The boy jumped with delight while the others cheered since it was apparent that the paper airplane was not landing anytime soon. It was the wind without a doubt. Next, I drifted my gaze to Grayson driving the snowblower and then everything... clicked.